How should I handle this?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
So about a month ago I bought a goonch catfish from a well known and reputable vendor on here and spent a good chunk of change on it as well. The fish arrived in horrible condition! Extremely thin and couldn't even swim. It just wiggled around. I notified the vendor right away and kept him up to date on it for the first week. It ate everyday and I soaked it's food in prazipro to kill off any internal parasites and I thought it was making a full recovery. We stopped making contact with eachother when I thought it was doing ok but he entire time it still couldn't swim. Well today it took a turn for the worst and I found it upside down struggling to flip itself over and it wouldn't eat. I contacted the vendor again this morning, no response yet. How should I handle this? I have never received a fish in such horrible condition before. Should I ask him for a refund so long after the purchase? How would you guys handle this? Thanks

Edit: I won't name the vendor just yet. I'm going to see how emails with him goes first.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I swear I remember seeing this thread like a while ago...I'm goin to say wait for contact from the vendor. If its from one of the guys on here I'm fairly certain they'll make it right.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Ya I mentioned it in my original thread in the disease section. I was more concerned about gettin the cat in perfect health first but I don't think he will make it

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
To me it appears that your window of opportunity for any recourse has closed as you have kept and fed the fish for a month before it died.You should have expressed your dissatisfaction at the condition that the fish arrived in and requested a return or refund in your first conversation with the vendor after you received the fish.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
To me it appears that your window of opportunity for any recourse has closed as you have kept and fed the fish for a month before it died.You should have expressed your dissatisfaction at the condition that the fish arrived in and requested a return or refund in your first conversation with the vendor after you received the fish.
I'm on the same page, sadly.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That's what I was thinking as well because of the time frame. For the record though I did notify him about the condition it was in when it arrived but I was so concerned about the fish I didn't mention anything about a refund. Only a possible exchange of it died. It's still alive as if this morning so hopefully it still is when I get home after work

Edit: he still hasn't responded to my email so if he doesn't by tonight I am releasing his name to you guys. He shouldn't have sold him to me in the condition that he was in when he arrived

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Yeah, if you where not happy the moment you first saw the animal, that's the time to act. Send it back for a full refund immediately. To late now in my opinion.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You think it's too late to ask for a partial refund bc I did notify him about how concerned and disappointed I was when it first arrived. I have the email still on record

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I would not get cranky about it if the vender could not help out but it never hurts to ask. Since you contacted them as soon as it arrived it might be a special circumstance. In general a vender could not stay in business if they replaced every fish that did not make it after a month.

EDIT: I would probably be in the same situation as you because I also would have been more worried about saving the fish than returning it.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
This is true. I did ask him about possible replacement if it died but he said he could not because this was the only 1 he had at this size. His other 1 was 5" larger and a good $200 more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store