Big fish tank decorations

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
When I had my 600g I salvaged drift wood form the edge of a lake. Cleaned it dried it then glued to the bottom of the tank tell it absorbed enough water to stay. Took quite some time for the tannins to stop leaching into the water and making it brown. The fish did not mind the brown water though.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I agree,collect your own.I have never had problems with wood and rocks I used in tanks.if it's soft wood stay away.you can get stumps from river/lake shorelines.bring a good hand axe and small hack saw.I see the prices on big DW-no way
Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I get pieces at or near the waterline where their still water-logged. I only keep pieces with no bark since the bark indicates that the wood may likely be unseasoned enough for use. I pressure wash the pieces to get any big chunks off. Then, spray the pieces down with a saturated salt solution. From there, the pieces are dropped in one of my stock bins to leach the salt back out. Another pressure wash is completed before they're placed in my tanks.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
How long in the bin to leach the salt out Oddball? Does the dw retain THAT much salt?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Usually, a week in the clean out bath is fine. I test them by letting the surface dry and checking for salt staining on the wood surface. If there are no whitened spots it's ready for the tank. The amount of salt retention varies with each piece. Wood species, heartwood/barkwood, natural seasoning time, etc. all play a part in the porosity and salt retention of the wood.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
more important will she let me in the car if I get wet?
Probably not. Would she be suspicious if you wore hip waders on the walk. :) Could put them in a trash bag in the trunk after to keep the smell out of the car. But how you are going to haul the muddy stinking wood is another matter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store