ID these fish, and do they have any potential?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

So over last 2 weeks a friend has been shutting his tanks down, and he was left with 4 flowerhorns, he couldn't sell them and was going to "dispose" of them, so I said i would take them and see if i could get them a new home.

I am just wondering what they are and whether any of them have any potential, or are they low quality no-hopes?

He told me that Fish 1 and 2 are RD, and Fish 3 and 4 are "Yellow Base x RD" (I will put the sizes by the fish)

NOTE: the damage to them happened before i got them.....

Fish 1 (15cm)

RD - Big (1).jpg

RD - Big (2).jpg

Fish 2 (8cm)

RD - Small (1).jpg

RD - Small (2).jpg

RD - Small (4).jpg

Fish 3 (11cm)

YB - Big (1).jpg

YB - Big (6).jpg

Fish 4 (8cm)

YB - Small (2).jpg

YB - Small (1).jpg

RD - Big (1).jpg

RD - Big (2).jpg

RD - Small (1).jpg

RD - Small (2).jpg

RD - Small (4).jpg

YB - Big (1).jpg

YB - Big (6).jpg

YB - Small (2).jpg

YB - Small (1).jpg

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Honestly, they look very low grade. If you enjoy keeping them, that's all that really matters.
I took them because I didnt want him to flush them down the toilet!!! I would keep them if they were going to be good quality, but if not ill give them to others looking for some fish!!

I have had flowerhorn before, but the ones I had in the past have all had really good colours, the Big RD should have full colour by now surely?

The only one I thought had any potential was the smaller RD (Fish 2) and the Yellow x RD (Fish 3)....or are they all worth rehoming?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
FHx Red devil type They look nice but for FH grading, they dont fit to be the mutants of that level.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
fish in the 5th picture down...was he yawning when you took the pic...the lips concern me.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
to me all of them look like Red Devil x some kind of a low grade rd.. prbbly all of them were from the same batch. the first 3 fish has mostly flowerhorn genes in it.. the last fish has more amph genes in it which ive seen the mouth looks like from my red devil.. and the last 2fish seems to be fading. and prbbly all of them will. id choose fish 3 if i were you. :)

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
fish in the 5th picture down...was he yawning when you took the pic...the lips concern me.
yes it is yawning lol

to me all of them look like Red Devil x some kind of a low grade rd.. prbbly all of them were from the same batch. the first 3 fish has mostly flowerhorn genes in it.. the last fish has more amph genes in it which ive seen the mouth looks like from my red devil.. and the last 2fish seems to be fading. and prbbly all of them will. id choose fish 3 if i were you. :)
Can you explain what a fader is? I have rehomed fish 4, I was also going to rehome fish 1.

I'm still cut up about fish 2....something about it..

All these fish came from low/no light environments, with store brand food, I have been feeding BioGold+ and giving 10 hours light work fluro tubes and they have all been changing color a lot and getting more pearls

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store