Anybody have experience using butt joints on large glass aquarium?

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I have seen small L shaped aquariums built with a butt joint in the bottom. I am wandering if anyone has done this with a large deep tank. Say 30" tall 30" wide 96" long on the back of one leg and 126" long on the other leg of the L, just as a starting point to talk about it. This would require a butt joint in the bottom and one on the back of the longer side of the L, assuming that it would use 8' sheets of glass.

Obvious down side is it would be imposable to move in and out in one piece, for most homes.

Next problem would be if a reinforced butt joint would withstand the pressure at the bottom of a deep tank or on the long side.

I am thinking a 4" wide glass reinforcement over the joint, stagger the back pieces on the long side so that the joints are not lined up, and a fully perimeter and cross braced top might make it doable.

Anyone done or saw anything like this done? Or anyone have an accurate idea of how strong such a joint would be?

I think the reinforcement and top bracing would help but am not sure if it could make up for having 2 or 3 other joints helping take the load, like normal.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
While it *might* be doable on the bottom with full support under it, I don't foresee any way of making the back side being able to hold. Honestly I don't see the bottom holding without leaks either. A 126" piece is possible to have made for the back, however it will be expensive. The 'L" shaped tanks are really neat but difficult to implement.

Have you considered going acrylic? It takes a lot of buffing, but it is possible to butt two ends together, bond them and buff out the seam. Materials will be a bit more expensive but I think in the end with this size tank you will be a bit better off.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Have you considered going acrylic?
It would be the best way for what I am thinking of. The down side is being able to take it apart and move it and the price is considerably more for acrylic. If I could find a flexible sealant that would hold long term on acrylic it is the way I would probably go.

In my research I have found some projects where they but joined two or three glass tanks together to make up to 10 foot tanks, that have worked for quite some time without leaks. But those were not as tall as I am looking at. If the cost involved was not an issue I would jump right in and try but it is a lot of money to not research and ask as many questions as I can.

Part of the problem is I have almost convinced myself it can be done. But that is in large part because I want it to work, not because it will.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I understand your desire for it to come apart, however have you considered just how much work that is and how difficult to build a tank this size? Your 96x30" pieces will need to be 3/4", that alone will be couple hundred pounds I imagine. Will you be able to move and position these for the correct reassembly? Will you also want to go through the process of fully cleaning the glass each time you have to assemble the tank? It is also more seams you need to get perfect to prevent leaks.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
The more I look I am finding a few examples of what I am talking about. They are rare though. Probably, in part, because they are build in place and very hard to move later.

I would have no immediate plan to move such a thing but I would want the ability, just in case. I have looked at the weight of the glass, 170 to 200 pounds. Not easy to move and place but I generally manage to figure a way to overcome such things. It would not be my first large tank build but would be my first large tank out of all glass, and most complicated.

It is going to take a lot more thinking and planning. I appreciate all input though.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Forget a joint on a vertical backside. Asking for trouble IMO. Bottom piece, absolutely! Put another piece over the joint and your good. I notice a lot of people on these forums saying how you need huge thickness in glass pieces and you can't do that and this. But I have seen and built tanks that are way less built then all the people say they should be built!

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Forget a joint on a vertical backside. Asking for trouble IMO. Bottom piece, absolutely! Put another piece over the joint and your good.
That is basically what I am thinking at this point. I will have to see how long of a piece I can custom order without breaking the bank. I have time to work on it. I am just in the beginning of the planning and finding the money stage.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I notice a lot of people on these forums saying how you need huge thickness in glass pieces and you can't do that and this. But I have seen and built tanks that are way less built then all the people say they should be built!
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Crazy how people recommend the safe route that wont destroy homes or hurt people over the cheaper risky methods!

A tank this size if you cheap out and use thin glass could kill a person if a seam pops. It really is not something to mess around with.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
How about a totally different route.

Make a plywood aquarium in whatever shape you want and then have viewing windows on the main panels. No butt joints needed on glass.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
How about a totally different route. Make a plywood aquarium in whatever shape you want and then have viewing windows on the main panels. No butt joints needed on glass.
I have not ruled it out. I have done the plywood thing before on a 650g tank. Plywood would not fit the application I am looking at as well as glass and it would not be any more movable than acrylic. I know there are some great plywood builds that have lasted a long time but there are are lot more that have never ending problems that end up making it a long term losing prospect. Fiber glassing is about the only way to do what I am thinking safely. I have done a lot of it and do not want to anymore. I also like like the challenge of going in a new direction but want all the information I can find to minimize the chances of having a huge expensive mistake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store