Potting Plants

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
So I bought some water wisteria because I was told it is an easy plant to grow (not sure if this is true or not). The bunch i bought came with about 6 stems and there are 4 left now. I couldn't get any of these 4 to root (I have about 2 inches of sand with about 1/2 inch of gravel on top of it)and I was just letting throw float around the top. I eventually got sick of it and decided to try and make my own "potting wool" that stuff that the potted plants come in. I got a clump of polyester filter fiber, flattened it out like you would with dough, added some osmocote, and spaced out the 4 stems. I then rolled the strip of fiber into a "taquito" and added some more fiber to fill out the pot. I put gravel on top of the pot because I didn't like the white fiber showing.
Will this help the wisteria root? If it wont help at all, will it damage the plants at all?

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
People throw away that stuff.

Its true that water wistera is quite easy, leave it to float around for a couple of weeks and eventually it'll put out roots.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
People throw away that stuff.

Its true that water wistera is quite easy, leave it to float around for a couple of weeks and eventually it'll put out roots.
Yea it started to root from floating around for a few weeks but barely. It seems like anytime I put it into the gravel it starts to turn brown and looks like it almost melts.
Will it root better being in the fiber?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
This seems to grow better as a emergent. Once the top breaks thru the surface, that's when I've seen the fastest growth. I like net pots loaded with sand, they don't catch as much waste/nitrate.

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
What lights do you have? Thus can be the limiting factor here. And how's the current in your tank( gph)

I've had issues with my stem plants uprooting. I lowered to filter power and they seemed to stay rooted fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I have two Hagen Aqua glo's, I believe each are 8000k and I have an eheim 2213 running. The outlet of the filter doesn't put a stronger current to where they were placed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store