first ever ich attack... please help

angelo3440

Feeder Fish
Jan 26, 2015
Fort myers,fl
Ok so this is my first time owning a large aqaurium. I have had 30 to 50 gallons my whole life and never had a problem with diseases/ water conditions, either because I didn't care or didn't know better. But I have put alot of money and time into this take and now the dreadful ich attack happened. I'm going to start with what I have in the tank and set up. I have a 150 gallon aqaurium with a fluval fx5 canister filter and a fluval 406 canister filter, as well as 3 air stones. All my water conditions are perfect and my temp is between 78-80 at all times. Now for what I have in the tank I have 6 silver dollars, 3 oscars, a breeding pair of jaguar cichlids, 2 plecos ( a bristol nose and a l200) a pleco and a blue lobster (crayfish). The tank has been up and running for 2 and half months and has been threw it's cycle already. Now for the sickness I noticed tonight that my 6 silver dollars all have ich as well as the pacu and one of the oscars looks as if it may beginning to get it I see like 1 white dot on its fin. My gf says it looks like a bunch of bubbles on them which I'm assuming is ich. My question is what products can I purchase to fix the issue I have already turned the heat up to around 81. Also some expert advice on which meds will be fine with all the fish I have in there? I really don't wanna loose any fish again I have already lost all my fish when I first got the tank from what I think was lack of oxygen when I took a trip out of town for 2 days. I lost my Oscar of 8 months that went in from a 30 gallon a breeding pair of jack dempsey and 3 silver dollars. Now I have all these fish and I'd rather not loose all of them as well or I'll end up giving up on something I love doing. Simply cuz I'd be tired of buying all new fish again. (Or just buy 3 oscars and a pleco and be done) I like the variety of fish and how awesome it looks with a huge community. Please anyone with expert advice or similar thing happen to them and the fish survived to tell about it please share your responses. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

1425015657292.jpg

1425018132328.jpg

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Heat and salt would be my preferred treatment, increase water changes&gravel vacuming. Try to get temp to 86F Run treatment 6 weeks(research life cycle of ich, tons of info out there). If no improvement try a harsher, chemical treatment. All your fish are good candidates for heat/salt treatment(SDs are salt sensitive but can handle. They are also sensitive to chemical treatments).

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I've never bought chemicals. I've succeeded in treating ich exactly how wailua boy said. In order: you should vacuum the gravel, wait about 30 minutes, clean out the filters, bump the temperature higher to 85 and then last add kosher salt (any salt without iodine added).
I've never had silver dollars have ich so I'm not sure about their salt sensitivity. You should check google for that or wait for another response.
This formula has worked 100% of the time for me.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've had 2 Ich outbreaks in my 125. Both times, I just raise the tank temp to 85-86 degrees. No salt, no med's, just temp. Goes away in a few days to a few weeks. Just bump tbe temp and be patient. Ick has got to be tbe easiest disease to treat.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It's that ich time of year, I just fought off a heavy attack.
Like many simple life forms, Ich has the ability to evolve very quickly, and some strains seem to have become resistant to heat, and maybe some salinity.
I tried salt at first, more than 3ppt (parts per gallon) but its effect was minimal in a system of bout 300 gallons, and bringing up temp in that size system is not a simple task, so after about a week, I resorted to using the malachite green based product Nox-ich.
Here are the results, after salt didn't work fast enough.
Day 1 (1/26/15)just before Nox-ich

1/28/15

1/29/15

1/30/15

1/31/15

GlennDalton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Cloverdale
www.facebook.com
I've had one fish among many in a goldfish tank with Ich. I was told to raise the salt to 15 grams per gallon and to raise the temp to 84 degrees. After six weeks the Ick was suppressed but still present. I would go strait for API Quick Ick Cure. IMHO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store