Native fish or other cichlids with Tiger Oscar in a 75g?

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
So.....I'm going to be upgrading to a 75g very soon and need some advice on tankmates for my Oscar. Right now he's in a 35g and that's obviously wayyyy too small for him (he's about 9" now) so it's time to get him a bigger and better home. I've decided on a 75g and want to include at least 1 tankmate with him. What do you guys recommend? I have a LMB bass, a few sunfish, a rock bass, yellow perch, and a brown bullhead in my small outdoor pond so I thought about grabbing one (maybe the Bullhead?) and throwing him in there. Here are some ideas I was kicking around.....any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Another Tiger Oscar.....maybe an albino or another to match him
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (saw one at my LFS....they are beautiful)
Brown Bullhead (I love cats)
LMB Bass (he would probably outgrow the 75g so that might not work)
Sunfish/Rock Bass (would be cool....not sure if hakeem would try to eat them though)

and please no negative comments on the current tank size. I'm well aware that it's cruel keeping him in there but I'm in the process of moving and didn't want to get a bigger tank until I was ready to move to my new place....which I am now.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
I don't agree with the fact your putting another fish in a 75g with an Oscar as many would argue that even 75g is too small for that Oscar, but I would suggest a large pumpkinseed or bluegill. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
I don't agree with the fact your putting another fish in a 75g with an Oscar as many would argue that even 75g is too small for that Oscar, but I would suggest a large pumpkinseed or bluegill. Good luck.

I've heard both sides of this......but if it's truly best to keep him alone, then I would have no issue doing that. I just figured that he might enjoy having a "friend"

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Don't rely on what I said, listen to some others first. Do what the majority says is right. Bump if you have too get your answers

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
You'll have to do a lot of water changes for the Oscar alone in the 75. I would keep him solo but if you absolutely had to put something in there with him a big sunfish would be ok.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
I personally would only do the Oscar in a 75 gallon tank. They are pigs if you want tank mates go for a 150 or bigger. When I had 2 O's in a 125 I was doing 2 water changes a week.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Keep the oscar alone in the 75, filthy enough a fish by itself for such a small tank. Bullheads can get 12-16" and are even dirtier! If you have to have a native with it and are willing do deal with twice weekly WCs and possible aggression then try a bull male hybrid sunfish (GreenXBluegill, GreenXPumpkinseed, bluegillXpumpkinseed, etc), those things are mean enough to hold their own against most fish and can dish it right back if they get annoyed enough.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd put a convict in. How dirty the tank gets etc is all relative to the cleaning schedule you implement, as such basing tank size on this factor is largely irrelevant; it comes down to whether 75g provides the swimming space

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Personally I feel a 75 is too small for an Oscar, but I'm not going to preach any further on that matter. However, I am curious to know of what your future plan is with that large mouth bass?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store