Calling Malaysian Snakehead Keepers

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
What's up, guys. Selamat Pagi dan Selamat Petang. :)

Malaysia is native to a certain number of Snakehead species most popular and common being Haruan / Striata, Toman / Micropeltes and Toman Bunga / Marulioides.

With the Snakehead fame being widespread many other species of Snakehead fish are being brought into the Malaysian Aquarium fish market. We are certainly blessed with Snakeheads. But where to locate them?

Therefore I decided to make this thread to help each other find that particular Snakehead species we are looking for.

I must say Toman fish being common is rarely seen in the local lfs now.

So here we go:

Thai Channa Striata / Haruan: Pasar Pudu / Pudu Market Aquarium shops. (Currently in stock)

Pseudomarulia from India: Pasar Pudu " (sold out quickly/currently out of stock)

Channa Punctata: Pasar Pudu " (currently in stock)

Channa Marulioides / Toman Bunga: Pasar Pudu " and also Cheras Maluri Jalan Pudu Ulu near PGRM Aquarium Shops (currently in stock). I believe the yellow variants are in Pasar Pudu and 6 bands in Cheras Maluri Jalan Pudu Ulu.

Channa Pleuros / Ocellated Snakehead: Cheras Maluri Jalan Pudu Ulu Aquarium shop. (sold out quickly/currently out of stock)

Channa Argus Platinum: Pasar Pudu (sold out quickly / currently out of stock)

Channa Bleheri: Cheras Maluri Jalan Pudu Ulu Aquarium shop. (Sold out quickly/currently out of stock

---------------------

That's all for now. If you know these out of stock Snakehead species mentioned above and also other Snakehead species not mentioned being sold in any local LFS please update.

I am currently looking for the Channa Argus / Northern Snakehead (not the platinum but the original). Keeping an eye on Pasar Pudu lfs. So far no luck. If you know it being sold elsewhere do inform.

Thank you very much and selamat malam! :D

Long live the Snakehead fish!

• Love
Reactions: ILOVESHARKS

phen_dox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
malaysia
wow, seem like you totally crazy about channa. :) yes, i m from malaysia and currently im looking for channa pluero. a pack of baby pleuro for sure. can you share with me current price of baby pleuro? if im not mistaken, about 7 years ago. i manage to get it about RM3 each at Penang (3 inch)

i agreed with you Taker, even though here home for few native channa. we still have difficulty looking for them.

please update when pluero (juvenile) available again as i looking for them for long time already. the other thing i never been to pasar pudu before but for sure i will be there if if pluero back in stock.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Hello phen_dox, thank you for the reply. The baby Pleuros I bought were priced at rm10 each but as I was buying 4 of them I negotiated for rm9 each.

I think you could find it with a lesser price still. The fish sold at Pasar Pudu are often low priced and negotiable. A baby Channa Pseudomarulia from India priced at rm58 was negotiable for rm50. And a Platinum Argus priced at rm120 was negotiable for rm100.

Have you ever been to Xian Leng aquarium in Shah Alam? I have only read about it. It seems there are Channa species being sold there. Maybe one day I can go there.

Don't worry, I will surely update you when Channa Pleuros are available again. And hopefully we hear more from our Malaysian brothers here. :) Thank you.

phen_dox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
malaysia
Xian Leng aquarium one of my favorite LFS but they normally only sell common snakehead like emperor snakehead and giant snakehead, never seem they selling rare snakehead. Last year they display very huge pluero about 15 inches for few hundred each, cant remember the exact price. but im surprised that pleuro can grow to that size.

Maybe you should go jalan sungai buluh - shah alam area. along that road there got about 4-5 fish shops and some of the LFS selling rare snakehead.

about Channa Argus that u looking for, i never see it for sale. hope you will find it one day. :)

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Thank you for the reply. I'll check the place you mentioned.

Good news for you, Channa Pleuro stock is now available at pasar pudu. It is the first shop on your right next to the flower shop. They are not hanging in the packets but inside in one of the small tanks.

Selling for rm6 plus each I bet you can negotiate for rm6 or even rm5 each if you are buying in numbers. You can always get fish for a low price at pasar pudu.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Channa Punctata and Thai Striata stocks at Pasar Pudu are currently sold out.

phen_dox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
malaysia
Thanks taker for the update! :D

aimaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
Malaysia
Selamat pagi :)

Btw, Taker Taker , theres 6 channa Argus going for sale in sg buloh LFS, lot 62. Dragon Aquatics. Its been there for 2 years now. Nearly 2ft in length, all of them. Only RM250. Theres one channa maculata mixed with the bunch though, better if u could ID it or else you'll buy the wrong one.

For me, so far ive kept channa andrao, bleheri, gachua, auranti, stewartii, and pleurophtalmas. Currently only have andraos in a 3ft(waiting to pair, 6 of em) and pleuros in a 4ft tank(4 of em, thinking of adding some more). Now setting up an 8ft tank, havent decided what channa to keep yet. Waiting for the tank to stabilize meanwhile.

Decided to keep only snakeheads after getting my first - Channa Gachua. Wild caught from Puchong. Hehe.

Anyways, based on my experience of sourcing channas at LFS:

Channa Stewartii
- Quite common: Sg Buloh, Aquatics International, Equine park, pasar pudu, cheras, kepong fishworld, Next Aquainnovation PLT.

Channa Andrao
- So far ive only found them selling at Next Aquainnovation (Before this was Bluegrass) in kepong.

Channa Bleheri
- Aquatics International, Next Aquainnovation, Xian Leng, Sg Buloh. However, a bit seasonal. Usually available March-June

Channa Gachua
- Very common. Though not from LFS. If you guys are active in fish FB groups, lotsa people offering wild caught ones. Usually from Perak/Northern areas.

Channa True Blue Moonbeam Galaxy
- Next Aquainnovation. Another source is from a friend in Johor.

Channa Ornatipinnis
- Next Aquainnovation, Kepong Fishworld, Kepong LFS (forgot the name of the LFS, its display tank has a huge golden aro)

Channa sp. Fire and Ice
- Kepong Fishworld

Channa Meghalaya Leopard
- Next Aquainnovation

Channa Harcourtbutleri
- Kepong Fishworld

Channa Pulchra
- Next Aquainnovation. RM45. Although you can get them from Singapore, but good luck getting through customs. hehe. Just called Next Aquainnovation yesterday morning wanted to book 6, but when i called later before coming all of them were already sold. Crazy.

Channa Bankanensis
- Pasar Pudu, Kepong Fishworld. Only place ive seen them, although quite hard to come by. 2 of my friends i know that keep them got them wild caught, 1 from Kuantan, the other from Perak.

Channa Aurantimaculata
- Seasonal too. Irene Aquarium PJ, Sg Buloh, Next Aquainnovation.

Channa Pleuro
- Was common, but they became famous lately so the usual places sold out. Irene Aquarium PJ, Sg Buloh, Aquatics International. But i got mine from a LFS in ipoh. Lol. Price average from RM4-6, for a 3-5" juvi

Channa Micropeltes
- Juvies very common. Most of the shops ive been to have them. RM2-5 for small juvies.

Channa Marulioides
- Only seen juvies going for sale in Sg Buloh, for RM5 each i think. Most of my friends got em wild caught anyway.

Channa Argus
- Only seen in Pudu and Sg Buloh.

Thats all based on my experience. Still, availability varies depending on the stock the LFS can get. Dont forget the seasonal factor too.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Aimaniac, thank you for your message. There is a Channa Facebook Group to gather all Malaysian Snakehead fans. Search for Snakehead Paradise Malaysia. :)

I have noticed that Next Aquainnovation is perfect to find many of the rare dwarf Snakeheads. R08 That Fish Shop is another perfect spot.

I have been told about the Sg Buloh LFS but I have not been there yet. Will check it out. :)

Posting a quick reply. I'll be back. Thank you again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store