Backup Power supply.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
We all know it's going to happen and we're not quite sure of when. the Inevitable black out. the FISH KILLER.
I'm going to say this , we spend thousands of dollars investing in our fish but tend to overlook the minor details such as what to do in case of a black out.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT WHAT TO DO DURING A BLACK OUT, as that has already been perfectly covered here. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...epping-for-and-Surviving-power-outtages/page7

With that being said my options are some what limited. I live in an apartment building so a generator is out of the question. I am nowhere near my vehicle so using that for power will also not work.

I am going to need something capable of handling at least 130 Watts for a period of at least 8 hours at a time. In Toronto we had a power outage after an ice storm that lasted 3 days in my neighborhood luckily i had no tanks going at this time.

about 2 weeks ago we had another power outage due to the weather conditions and i lost power for 6 hours. luckily, I had no fish in my newly setup 180 gallon and was only in the midst of my fishless cycle. needless to say, I spent that 6 hours manually draining both of my fx 6 and dumping water back into the aquarium to keep the bacteria alive.

I'm predicting many more black outs for years to come in this neighborhood so I need to be prepared before I purchase my Stendker discus from Hans in Baltimore.

Any suggestions on Battery power that will be able to handle 120-150 watts for periods of 8 hours or longer ?

AJD4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Wyoming
Backup is the way to go and they work good just do your research before you buy one I just have a small Honda generator it's quite and is reliable and I'll have have to worry about is gas I would look into that you would just have to set it outside or on a balcony the small Honda ones are super quiet also

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Backup is the way to go and they work good just do your research before you buy one I just have a small Honda generator it's quite and is reliable and I'll have have to worry about is gas I would look into that you would just have to set it outside or on a balcony the small Honda ones are super quiet also

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Unfortunately I do not have a balcony , i live on the sub basement level and my landlord would probably complain if i left one outside my window. and someone would probably steal it :D

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Buy an extra car battery and a power inverter. You would need to keep switching the battery out and recharging with your car alternator. Use the inverter hooked to the battery to operate whatever you need to run. Be sure to get an inverter that will shut off before it completely drain the battery. Then you can swap it out and start the car to recharge. Rinse and repeat as needed for clean shiny hair. :nilly: 150 watts is not a very big or expensive inverter. Battery life should last a long time. Here is one from Harbor Freight. They have stores everywhere. http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...inuous800-watt-peak-power-inverter-61479.html

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Buy an extra car battery and a power inverter.
I have thought of doing that also but have not tried it. I would use a deep cycle battery, they are used on campers and boats. They will last longer and are made for almost complete discharge and recharge cycling. Car batteries do not hold up to that for long. If you kept one or two on a tender tell you need it they would be ready to go all the time. You would need to do some calculations for the specific battery you use to figure out how long it will last. You loose a lot the batteries capacity when converting from DC to AC power.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Would you feel safe allowing one of these car batteries and inverters to run while you weren't home ? Even though the power may be out i will still have to go to work.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Would you feel safe allowing one of these car batteries and inverters to run while you weren't home ?
With a sealed deep cycle battery I would be worried but probably risk it. With a car battery I would not risk it. I would not just want to hook it up and leave. I would test it on a weekend when I could monitor it constantly, that would decide for me if I could leave it or not, I would know how long it would run, and what the logistics for charging batteries would involve.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I would feel comfortable. I use a cheap power inverter when camping, so I have experience letting them run for extended periods. I use it for stuff like running a fan, laptop etc. I think I would get a higher quality one then the Harbor Freight if I was going to leave it operating while I wasn't at home.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
A bank of batteries with a slow charger meant for 120v would be the way I'd go. Make sure which ever DC to AC inverter you use produces a pure sine wave. Many cheap inverters won't run AC motors well.
A similar setup is used for solar panel power storage, and there's likely a turn key option available for ya.

Also, this would run 200 watts for ~22 hours.
http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/uninterrupted-power/powersource-1800.aspx
Edit: Turns out it uses a modified sine wave, and not a pure wave, I'd skip this.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
To be honest you're probably just going to spend a ton of money. You're gonna need a decent deep cycle battery, (spiral wound AGM, gel cell etc..) maybe even two, a battery maintainer, and a good inverter. If your only looking to run 100-130 watts then I'm assuming that excludes a heater? I'm not sure of your tank size.

From my experience in the auto biz - regular lead acid car batteries don't last long without continual charge/discharge cycles. Even a normal marine/RV deep cycle battery normally only lasts a couple seasons of normal use.

I understand your limitations, since I live in an apartment as well. I'm not going to invest in a backup until I can wire a gas generator into the electrical panel of my house.

Keep it simple. Get some DC air pumps that run on normal household batteries. Rinse your bio media in a bucket of tank water and put your bags/baskets/cartridges in the display tank. Just my $.02

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store