Ideal temps...

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
my rays bred in and around 80 degrees. also interested to see what some of the more successful ray breeders keep there tanks at. i think in the wild the rivers dont really have a "set" temp. i dont know how much is known about them traveling to warmer or colder waters to mate. but i think it may be a seasonal thing down there. when i used to breed red belly piranhas which are from the amazon as well i would drop temp for a few days via with the help of a water change closer to the low 70's and then spike it back up over 80 it triggered them breeding pretty much every time. i was told it simulated the rainy season there and thats when the bred. never tried it with rays but might have to!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Good question, I not going to pretend to be some kind of expert but mine have bred in both the summer time and early winter and the tank would have dropped from 81 to 78 after water change which is drip for 3 hours twice a day. Not sure if that answers your question really but that is what's worked for me but I only been in this amazing habit properly for 3 years. I'm sure others will have different opinions .

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Scott, I have been running mine down at 75 for the last several months and the rays have shown no complaints.
They eat and are just as active if not more. Neither have the Armatus shown any negative effects.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Ive also started running all my rays lower at about 75-76. My rays mated for the first time ever just over a month ago. I see no reason to run the tanks too warm. Just costs more in electricity.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
Scott my tanks stay at a constant 81 82 degrees and you already know im expecting my first litter here shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store