how big is your Shubunkin?

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
How big are you Shubunkin Goldfish? Most places say they can get 10-12" but not sure. My wife picked out 3 last night, they are very pretty fish just want to make sure they will grow out to the correct size. She wants them to get 10"+ so we can keep them in a back yard pond in the summer but bring them indoors in the winter. We live in Northern Indiana so it gets pretty cold and guessing the pond will freeze in the winter.

Our guys are 3.5"-5" long right now. We bought them early so we can grow them out in one of our tanks until the pond is ready.

Thanks for the info. We would love these guys to get to 12" and hoping with feeding and lots of water changes they will make that.
They will, but be careful. I learned the hard way with my 12 inch shubunkin. I power fed it. It attained the size but i lost the fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This guy was about 1" when I picked it up 3 years ago.

They spend the summers outside in the pond, (pic above) but winters in a kiddy pool
in the basement, where they are seldom fed because water temp in the basement drops below 50'F.
Pond freezes solid here.

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
We feed them 2-3 times a day but only what gets eaten in about 30 seconds, From what I understand the water changes is what will make the grow more than the food.

Daunes@ I will be doing the same thing in the winter with ours. I'm hoping to find a filter I can hook into the pond and the tank in the basement so I can bring the cycled media in with the fish. What do you use to filter the kiddy pool?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I run a stock box pond filter outside in the summer, and just drop it from pond into the kiddy pool in winter. Don't remember the name, but it has a couple of sponges, and a bag of pond matrix. I also overwinter water lilies, so I figure with the soil in the pot, and the plant and its roots, there are plenty of beneficial bacteria.
You can see the box in the pic below/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store