Undecided overflow box or just use a PVC drain on tank

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Setting up a 260g, undecided on using a big ugly overflow box or just use a 1.5 drilled PVC overflow that i can hide behind some driftwood. Aside from aesthetics, any other issues with using a PVC overflow ? Fish would be large ones, so getting sucked into the pipe should not be an issue. The tank will be custom ordered so i can dictate what can be done to it. Thanks

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I found a combination of the two. It's called H2 Overflow. Just Google it and see what you think. I have two I'll be installing on the 450 I'm in the process of setting up. Not sure how they work yet, but here's hoping.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Have you considered an internal coast to coast style? It would span the top of the tank, only going down 5 or 6" tops, depending on how large your drains are. Tank would only have to stick out far enough to have the PVC pipes make the right angle down. Something like this-

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/rletulle/120gTankInternalCoast-to-Coast.png

You get the full skimming effect that way, it will be silent and drain a lot more than a single upturned pipe.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
No space from the back wall or side walls..

Have you considered an internal coast to coast style? It would span the top of the tank, only going down 5 or 6" tops, depending on how large your drains are. Tank would only have to stick out far enough to have the PVC pipes make the right angle down. Something like this-

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/rletulle/120gTankInternalCoast-to-Coast.png

You get the full skimming effect that way, it will be silent and drain a lot more than a single upturned pipe.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
So you would do the one pipe from the bottom of the tank up to the surface? If your only option is bottom drains I would do corner overflows. A single pipe wont drain much water or skim well and will make a lot of noise sucking air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store