FRESH manzanita to aquarium safety

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
So one of the manzanita plants in my yard came to an untimely end due to a swashbuckling accident, un-repairable. So how do i salvage it and make it aquarium safe at this point?

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
It needs to be sand blasted to remove any parasites and also it eventually the bark flakes off into the water releasing a lot of tannin.
It also needs to dry out they can't be any green left. I've read that you need to freeze it for 72 hours to kill any bugs.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
That's a lot of in needed steps for manzanita. It is one of the best woods for water use.
Dry it out
Sand it, sand blast it if you want
Boil it/put it in bathtub with hot water
Soak it and change water many times to get as much as the tanin out before it goes in the tank. Will probably take a 3 to 4 weeks in my experience

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Bathtub seems like the route after drying, unless you have access to a freezer to put it in for about a day then still have to leech tanins out

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I actually do have access to a walkin freezer, and as far as sanding goes, do I need to sand off all the nice red bark?

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
I place mine in a kiddie pool outside for a few weeks, or in a garbage can (huffy 60 gallon) and change the water by just running the hose into the pool or garbage can until clear again. It waters the plants and helps cure the wood. This is much easier then all of the above.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I place mine in a kiddie pool outside for a few weeks, or in a garbage can (huffy 60 gallon) and change the water by just running the hose into the pool or garbage can until clear again. It waters the plants and helps cure the wood. This is much easier then all of the above.
does it keep that nice red bark in tact that way?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I think the bark will need to come off before you try to use in the tank,it would leave a mess as ot breaks down in water ,if you left it on

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store