WPG for fluorescent bulbs?

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I know people use PAR now because different types of lighting have different wpg for how much light they put off but I don't have something to measure the par so I was wondering what wpg I should do specifically for fluorescent lights. This is not really even an aquarium, it is a 10 or so gallon 1 foot tall rubbermaid container simply for growing aquarium plants that I sell. I have a diy co2 system that blows co2 in the powerhead and there are 2 regular household light bulbs I an using. The plants I think or narrow leaf java fern and a white ribbon plant (I just figured out they aren't even aquatic when I looked up the name :() and they are eating up the co2 and making bubbles just fine. I want to add java moss on some drift wood to crap and some baby tears for a carpet.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
The plants I think or narrow leaf java fern and a white ribbon plant (I just figured out they aren't even aquatic when I looked up the name )
I am a little confused, and by the way not a plant expert, but how are you selling plants that you do not even know what they are? But, I have had good results growing aquatic plants under T5 lights.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I am getting a variety and I forgot the name of one of the plants. I am new to aquatic plants and did not know they sold me a non aquatic plant. Where in Iowa are you? I am from North Liberty and moved to California 5 years ago.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
did not know they sold me a non aquatic plant
It is a bit hard to sort them out sometimes. I think a lot of places make it confusing on purpose to sell more plants.

I am in Indianola.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Too much light will usually cause algae.

I think 2 WPG is enough for most purposes, 3 WPG max. Anything higher than that will just cause issues if you don't have C02 injection.

I had 128W (4 x 32W florescent tubes) on my old 55G tank and it worked really well.

You can regulate how much light the plants are getting with a timer. Maybe start at 8 hours of light per day and increase it up to 12 hours of light as the plants grow. If the plants aren't big enough to absorb all the light and nutrients, algae will fill the void, so adjust the light to the size of your plants. I'm oversimplifying things, but you get the idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store