Non-fish tank mates?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Alright, since everything I've looked into so far has turned out to be a bad choice, are there any critters that would make good tank mates for pond-size turtles (like painteds and maps) and large fish (like gars, oscars polys, cichla, and rtc)? A caiman is out of the question, and mud puppies are too delicate, from what I've read. Are crocodile skinks or aussie water dragons a possibility? Are there freshwater crustaceans that get large enough to not be eaten? I've seen small turtles kept with water snakes, could that work? Would African clawed frogs be attacked by the turtles? Bullfrogs? I'm open to almost any ideas so help is greatly appreciated.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Are you looking to mix species to save space? Mixing animals in such a small environment always leads to trouble.

If you want a turtle, get another of the same. But prepaid to have a much larger space for them.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Are you looking to mix species to save space? Mixing animals in such a small environment always leads to trouble.

If you want a turtle, get another of the same. But prepaid to have a much larger space for them.
No, I'm not just trying to throw them all in one enclosure just to save space/money. Trust me, there's going to be plenty of space, and I've had experience mixing turtles and fish with no issues at all. I just want to know if there are any other animals compatible with them in an aquatic/semi-aquatic environment.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Not really, all the other animals you listed minus the dragon would be considered food or at least something to nip at. And when it comes to turtles they can do some damage even with an investigation bite.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
The only thing that works with turtles is other similar turtles (amusing it is a more "social" species), large peaceful fish, and small fast fish. Be prepared to lose fish on occasion. An aquatic lizard would be terrified of a turtle clamping on to its tail. Caimans eat turtles....Amphibians are turtle food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store