i got an American Eel from an asian market

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
got him the other night. it has hiding spots and a tight fitting lid. offered sashimi and hasnt ate it. ill try shrimp tonight. im leaving the lights off to get him comfortable. cost me $4. i tried using the search function but it fails. can anyone offer me advice? tank is fresh water @ 76 degrees.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't know much about eels and I suspect you will have to describe it so others can help you out with which species it might be.One thing about those Asian supermarkets though you never know what they might have but it's always something interesting.The markets here have had barramundi,toadfish,yellow perch,various species of turtles and even bins full of bullfrogs!

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
They look cool. hunt around on MFK there is a guy that had one he bought as bait. He raised it up to 2 or 3 feet. He made it sounds like it was great little addition. If I get time I will try to find his thread. good luck, nice find.

By the way, aren't the creeks and streams of New York full of eels? My understanding was they were fairly common on the eastern sea board.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know much about eels and I suspect you will have to describe it so others can help you out with which species it might be.One thing about those Asian supermarkets though you never know what they might have but it's always something interesting.The markets here have had barramundi,toadfish,yellow perch,various species of turtles and even bins full of bullfrogs!
American eel = Anguilla rostrata

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just leave the tank light off until he eats and try feeding market shrimp when it's as dark as you can get it, watch him with an infrared light, it takes fish a few minutes for their eyes to adjust to pick up red light after they've been in the dark for a bit so it won't know you're watching it.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
It's not letting me use the search function for someone reason. Keeps saying invalid no matter what I type or which sub- forum. The piece of fish is missing so I believe he ate it. There is a cocktail shrimp in there now and the lights are off. I will see if any of the local petstores are carrying night crawlers. Thanks for the help

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
This is what I keep getting...

connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
By the way, aren't the creeks and streams of New York full of eels? My understanding was they were fairly common on the eastern sea board.
My uncle caught one in the Hudson when I was young (20+ years ago). Dams and overfishing are causing rapid declines. I personally have never seen them other then that time and in this market.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store