Mormyrus questions

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I just received my Mormyrus longirostris from Wetspot. Right now he is about 3.5 inches, and is in quarantine with the other fish I received. I plan to eventually put him in a tank with schools of Elephant nose fish and baby whales. If he is too aggressive for that tank I do have others he could end up in.

But my question is regarding what the differences are between the major species of Mormyrus, in terms of personality, aggression, size, etc. Looking online at iucnredlist it said the longirostris are schooling but kannume are not. Would this affect how compatible they are with their own specieS? Also both species can get over two feet, but I am wondering if anyone has ever grown any Mormyrus anywhere near that size. I have never seen pictures near that size. If I could get it over 1ft I would put it in my 700g... So size isn't a problem, I am just curious what to expect from those who have had them long term.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've kept both and unless you have a huge number of them, it normally doesn't work out. They harass eachother constantly until slowly the weakest ones get bullied to death. This is because they are extremely territorial and will constantly chase around other fish. I sold mine to a guy who put it in a 240 filled with all sorts of Africans cichlids and since there were so many, they're all doing fine. Just remember he had like 50-60 Africans in there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok, thanks! I am trying to recreate a specific tank of mormyrids that the owner has been posting videos of on YouTube for years, so that is why I am interested in compatability and groups. I don't plan to try adding the dolphin until after the EN and baby whale schools are established. If it is too aggressive I will move it else where.

did you notice a personality difference between the Kannume and the Longirostris? What kind of growth did you get? Is it reasonable to try to grow it out for my 700g, or will it never get that big in captivity?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I've posted these videos on here before, but here it is again. Looks like the owner has 4-5 dolphins
[video=youtube_share;_68lsiu74OQ]http://youtu.be/_68lsiu74OQ[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store