Fresh water clam died, what parameters do I check?

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
I have a brackish 55 gal, and one of my residents was a fresh water clam (yes I made sure he was brackish compatible), I've had him almost 2 months.
I just went to feed my fish and saw the little guy wide open, and unresponsive, so i freaked out, grabbed him and put him in a cup of tank water immediately.

So, my clam is dead, he died in my tank...I've read about shell rot, and I can't seem to find the info I need on line.
What exactly kills the fish? What water parameters do I check?
He could have died last night or an hour ago..
My tank is well established, I just checked my nitrite (0ppm) and my ammonia (also 0) what else can I look for?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nitrates.

bordemstirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
California
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Corbicula fluminea (Asian clam), I fed him kent's invertebrate food 2 times a week, but he was set in decent current so he had plenty flow to siphon. [/FONT]

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many clams starve in well filtered fish tanks, because being filter feeders themselves need a constant supply of plankton and suspended debris to live.
If you were not giving it daily supplies of daphnia, newly hatched artemia, or some other substitute, its demise was eminent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store