Aimara Price

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
Because they're the top aggressive fish, imports are limited so the price reflects that. Supply & demand. Having said that a large group just landed and are half the price they normally are. 450$ ea for 12-14" Aimara. Can't beat that price. They won't last long at that price. Now that one importer is selling them so cheap, keepers shouldn't pay much more from any importer if you ask me. Price is down, we should make it stay down.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Because they're the top aggressive fish, imports are limited so the price reflects that. Supply & demand. Having said that a large group just landed and are half the price they normally are. 450$ ea for 12-14" Aimara. Can't beat that price. They won't last long at that price. Now that one importer is selling them so cheap, keepers shouldn't pay much more from any importer if you ask me. Price is down, we should make it stay down.

Link to those Aimara.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Yeah, link me too. Hoplias malabaracus is found in literally just about any ditch or body of water in most of South America. You have to leave the city area's, any where the population is large with people. From what I understand, the Hoplias aimara wolffish is quite tasty and therefore usually overfished in the area's with a higher population. Usually , it's anywhere from a half to a whole day or more by boat just to get to the edge of the aimara's habitat. Also they prefer water that is higher in dissolved oxygen. They can live elsewhere in most areas because they are extremely hardy and a very old species of fish that have been around for eons. Again, from what I understand they are alot more aggressive and territorial in lower oxygen environments. Once you've caught them, you have to house them separately, keep the tanks or vats covered very well to keep them from jumping out, and bag them with special thicker mil bags sometimes if they are even available. Everytime someone acquires the fish for dispersal to another wholesaler or retailer, the price goes up also. I paid upwards of $700 for mine, and knowing what I know now as far as it's temperament , intelligence, and how actually social my fish is towards me, I would have given $2000 in hindsight. The way I look at it, I bought the aimara to house by itself in a large tank and keep it for 20-30 years or more ,hopefully anyway. To me it's like buying a little, long lived dog that is mean as shizzle and doesn't need to be walked. You can call it a status symbol or whatever, but really ,when it comes right down to it, I'm just a dude that really likes big mean fish that aren't skittish and have a personality. I'm a fishgeek and I've owned just about everything I've ever wanted, fishwise. With the exception of a few. Sorry for the long rant. Don't know where that came from. Thanks.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Not hard to find... Just check the other predatory fish site.

volume = cheaper. Just like going to walmart vs supporting your local grocery store. I personally will pay more to support the right people.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY DB, always will also. They have provided me and lots of others here with fish we have only read about. I enjoy keeping those guys in business. It's my rare oddball predatory fish tithe...Lol!!! I want those guys to be able to take their families to McDonald's from time to time.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
It's just a hype up and supply & demand.

My ex boss told me that 20 years ago, no one even want to buy these fish when they cost around $40 each (wholesaler price)

It's still expensive compare to the price 20-25 years ago :eek:

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Save your money and buy a piece of driftwood! Can't even give them away after you get bored of them.

Like it was stated it's just a hype up and supply and demand. Just like the goonch catfish!

Speaking from experience as I have owned 3 different wolves and 2 goonch and one being over 30".

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
W*ter w*olves. None of my Aimara are driftwood. Complete opposite really, and definitely live up to the hype.

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
Wwhat isn't expensive compared to 25-30 years ago? 25years ago you could still have snakeheads and Asian arows. Walmart compared with family owned? Wtf. John's be in the business as long as anyone and supplies most of the retailers anyhow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store