Worm-like organisms in my tank?

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
I have these little yellowish worm things floating around wriggling in my tank. How do I treat these? Are they harmful? I have a 5 inch dovii in the tank by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
sounds like planaria. to get rid of them keep the tank clean, no extra food in tank good vacuum every water change, keep up on water change. they are harmless to your fish but are the result of to much organic matter in the tank.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
sounds like planaria. to get rid of them keep the tank clean, no extra food in tank good vacuum every water change, keep up on water change. they are harmless to your fish but are the result of to much organic matter in the tank.
+1. Feed less and change more water

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I'm going through the same thing right now I'm still feeding the same but doing a 10-15% water change everyday and getting every last spec of debris out once a day it seems to be working. I read about this meathod I read about a trap you can make at home to catch some of the planaria. Take a small plastic container with a lid, cut some holes in it large enough for the planaria to crawl in, bait it with something meaty, set it inside another larger container without a cover and wait overnight. Use some gravel to weight down the container. The worms will crawl in to eat the bait and you can scoop out the container and kill them with bleach or hot water. The second container is to catch any of the worms that fall through the holes when removing the containers from the tank. It's supposed to work pretty well.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
You don't get them from over feeding they eat fish waste some people can have horrible water conditions and way over feed and never get them and some people can have great water and feed normal and still get them it's not like the over feeding fairy comes along and puts worms in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store