Lighting for off photoperiod times

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
My setup currently consists of a 4x56W T5HO which are on for 7 hours per day. Unfortunately 7 hours per day leaves me with many hours on the weekends while I am home and the tank is dark. I have read that you can break up a photoperiod but still need a minimum of 4 hours for the plants to ramp up and make it worthwhile, leaving me with a single 7 hour chunk of lighting and darkness for the rest of the day. I would like some lights so I can see my fish in the mornings and during the day on the weekend without boosting algae growth or largely affecting the photoperiod of the plants. It is a 120 gallon (4x2x2) tank. I know plants like to have a stable photoperiod so I will be keeping those 7 hours constant each day.

My desired lighting is:
weekdays 6-8am lowlight, 2-9pm photoperiod*, 10-11 lowlight, 11pm-1am moonlights
weekends: lowlight 9am-2pm low light, 2-9pm photoperiod*, 10-11 lowlight, 11pm-1am moonlights

*may be extended slightly if I like the ramping effect which could be supplemented with the lowlight/moonlights for desired effect.

I have a few options of things to try but wanted to get some feedback to avoid things that are known to fail. Perhaps any light substantial enough to illuminate the tank will be detrimental to my plants and encourage algae, but I am not sure.

1) The T5 fixture has switches on it to go from 2 bulbs to 4 bulbs. I am going to replace the switches with indivudal power cords so they can be controlled individually via a timer to give me a sunrise/sunset effect. However I am concerned that this will still be too much light to leave on for much longer without encouraging algae growth.

2) I am building an aquarium controller for dimmable moonlights, so I could add a second channel of white or white/red LEDs. Would have to make sure the light is low enough not to affect the plants, but should be fine with maybe 10-15 LEDs. May also allow for some added color control during the ramping periods, but not sure if I can output enough light to significantly affect the 2 T5 bulbs.

3) Add a second T5 system with regular output, maybe just 3 2 ft bulbs. I dont think this should have enough output to grow much algae in the tank as I have one over a 10g without much growth on for the entire day.

Anyone have any experience with this?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Best ways to control algae are fairly simple...

1) Co2 automated system helps to control algae

2) Having a substantial amount of plants helps to control algae

3) True Siamese Algae Eater (siamensis algae eater) help to control algae

4) Shrimp such as Amano Shrimp help to control algae

Lets talk about my old 75 gallon planted tank for a second.... (image below)

75gallon-plantedtank.jpg

For my old 75 gallon planted tank it had the following equipment

Lighting - 48" Coralife Freshwater Deluxe 4x65w power compact light, 48" Cheap T5HO 2x54w light
Heating - 300w Hydor Theo submersible heater
Filtration - Eheim 2213 canister filter, Jebao 915 4-stage canister filter
Co2 - Azoo co2 regulator w/ 10lb co2 cylinder

My lighting period was simple... Front 2x65w pc lights come on at 8am, rear 2x65w pc lights come on at 10am, running all 4x65w pc bulbs at the same time until 2pm then front 2x65w pc shut off, then at 4pm rear 2x65w pc shutoff. During these times the T5HO bulbs come on at 11am, and shut off at 1pm. Now I never had an algae outbreak because it had 1), 2), and 3)... I had a pair of True Siamese Algae Eaters in the tank, I had an automated co2 system on the tank, and had plenty of plants in the tank.

Live plants will out compete algae for the available nutrients in the tank when you have a good amount of plants in the tank, and the True Siamese Algae Eaters are really great at taking care of any algae that shows up in the tank. The automated co2 system is simple, I got tired of making DIY co2 using the yeast/sugar method... The lighting period was only 8 hours from 8am to 4pm, but because I was using 2 separate lighting systems I was able to give it a big light burst from 11am to 1pm which was able to supply different lighting spectrums...

The lighting spectrums are more important than the photoperiod.

absortionchlorophyll.png

The image above shows the chlorophyll spectrums for live plants, when you're able to achieve the right combination of lighting spectrums then you can work out a photoperiod for the lighting. Here's a list bulbs the light fixtures had...

Coralife 4x54w pc was using 1 x 6700k bulb & 1 x 420nm actinic bulb in the front, then I used 1 x 6700k bulb & 1 x 420nm actinic bulb but were crisscrossed from each other like this left front bulb 6700k, right front bulb 420nm actinic, left rear bulb 420nm actinic, right rear 6700k bulb. Then in the T5HO fixture I used 1 x 10,000k bulb, and 1 x 5000k bulb.

But with the bulbs now-a-days I recommend a T5HO wavepoint ultra growth wave bulb, because it hits all of the spectrums for plants, it's specially designed for these wavelengths...

ultra_growth_wave.jpg

So I would definitely go with at least 1 ultra growth wave bulb for your tank, had one on my 30 gallon planted tank, and the plant growth was steady, fast, and healthy!

75gallon-plantedtank.jpg

absortionchlorophyll.png

ultra_growth_wave.jpg

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
A lot of good info there, but algae is not my problem. I already have plenty of algae eating livestock and do not want to go with injected CO2 due to the added maintenance that it requires (water changes, more frequent trimming, more frequent fert dosing). I am a graduate student and simply cannot gaurantee that I have that much time available each week and my current setup can easily be left alone for weeks by simply adding a bucket of water every week or so.

What I am after is trying to add time to my lighting schedule, so I can view my fish in the mornings, or weekend afternoons. I do not want to induce photosynthesis during these periods, just provide enough light so I can enjoy my aquarium.

I am rewiring my 4xT5HO fixture so each bulb can be controlled individually via an Arduino-based aquarium controller. I am also adding dimmable blue and red LED channels to create a more dynamic sunrise/sunset lighting scheme. Hopefully this will afford me extended viewing times without add to my affective photo dose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store