Bichir may have eaten a cory...

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
A month or so a go I bought a very small Ornate bichir. I want to eventually put it in my 700g tank, but since he was only a couple inches long I temporarily put him in a tank with corys, ropefish, eels, EN, and an African knife. I planned to move him into a growout with some baby pbass, and a dat when he had grown a bit more. I didn't think he would be able to eat the corys because even the smallest one is bigger in diameter than the bichir is. Anyway, yesterday I notice one of my smallest corys was missing a most his tail, and today I can't find that cory and my bichir has a big lump on the left side of his belly. I did only notice the lump AFTER I fed them, and he was with everyone who was eating, so it could be just the food I fed... but I don't know why it would form a weird shaped lump like that.

The bichir is acting perfectly normal, swimming, etc. Should I be worried? When should I expect the lump to go away if it isn't a cory, versus if it is? If it is the cory, will the bichir eventually just digest it, spines and all?

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
If it is a fish or fish food it will digest and be gone within a day or 2 don't worry this happens a lot ... If u have rocks as it substrate it could be it swallowed a rock if the bump doesn't resolve in a couple days then u may worry a little lol but for now it's prob ok

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Marauder225

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2011
New jersey
When I first started my grow out tank for my bichirs I had 6 panda corys in the tank, Had the same thought as you, that they weren't big enough to eat the corys yet... Slowly all 6 disappeared. No ill effects to any of my bichirs. Just keep an eye on your ornate for the next few days

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I too had the same thing happen to me with my bay endli. I put him with my 2 cories cause he was just too small to be with the marbled goby and pike cichlid. Went out of town and came home to no cories but a fat endli. A week went by and no problem with my endli. But I must say within 1 month it has doubled it's size.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If the cory was as big in diameter as the ornate I would doubt the ornate would've eaten it, mainly because eating a fish that is about the same diameter of a poly is hard enough as it is and with corys eating it (which usually means tail first) means you have to deal with their boney fins. However I will say a determined poly with an appetite can eat a lot of things you wouldn't have thought it could.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store