Teugelsi Has white blotches

MickeySix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
In a clay pot
My teugelsi has recently (less than 48hours) started developing white/pare colored blotches on its body. It's tail is very frayed and one dorsal spine is bleeding. A small bacterial infection outbreak occurred in the tank about ten days ago and I treated with melafix which remedied all bichirs including the teugelsi which had no symptoms of disease for the entire ordeal. Water parameters are all stable (pH:7.0 ammonia:0 temp:74) any idea of what this is and how to treat it? Can it be fin or tail rot, maybe body fungus? Start treatment of Maracyn (erythromycin)?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1425157875.640155.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1425157891.499576.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1425157899.588065.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe a heater burn. If ur tank temp is 74. What's ur heater set to? If it's always on then maybe that. Since on the top part of the fish. Hope someone can have some input to help.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Is there any decor in the tank? Something might have spooked it, causing a freak out. My senegalus occasionally freaks out and rams into driftwood, causing similar damage.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Is there any decor in the tank? Something might have spooked it, causing a freak out. My senegalus occasionally freaks out and rams into driftwood, causing similar damage.
My senegal also darts around all the time and has these marks on his top side. But on the front of him it looks like heater burn. Maybe a mix of both.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
What are the tankmates. Potential of slime coat being removed.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Decorations wouldn't have caused this. When bichirs get scratched by decorations it usually leaves long thin scratches, while on this poly the whole back half is affected. I would put some salt in, and some melafix or bacterial medicine to prevent it from getting any worse.

MickeySix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
In a clay pot
Thank you everybody for the replies. Tank mates include all upper jaws bichirs so damage due to tank mates is unlikely. There is not a heater in the tank but rather the sump. I did however remove the group to a hospital tank for the melafix treatment and had a exposed heater in that tank so she may have gotten too cozy with the heater in the hospital tank. I'm hoping that's all it is and clears up with a lite melafix treatment. No other polys are showing signs so I'm hoping it doesn't spread. Again, thanks for the replies.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Looks like bichir worm damage. Search my threads I have one of an ornate with this. uploadfromtaptalk1425264397442.jpg

Prazi pro cleared it up fast

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store