Is it common for OUTSIDE of seams to start turning white?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
My acrylic tank seams are starting to show signs of wear. But it's not where I would have thought, it's not on the inside where the water meets the acrylic, it's on the outside edges, where the two pieces of acrylic meet on the outside of the tank. I would have thought it would have been the other way. Anyone ever seen this or is this always how it goes? How much time would your best guess be from when this starts(how fast does it spread)? Most important, will reinforcement of the seam using weld-on#40 help this when doing it on the inside? Thanks.

uploadfromtaptalk1425179374382.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425179384416.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425179393531.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425179403359.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Amazing link, thank you. I feel like what is compounding the problem is my tank isn't 100% level. I got it the best I could at the time, I definitely took the time to do it, but I was moving my fish and whole aquarium from one house to another in the middle of winter. No excuses though, I wonder if it is possible to shim it while it is full? Talking probably 4500 lbs, as much as 5000 maybe, anyone have an idea how to shim that to help elleviate some pressure before I take it down and repair it?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I wouldn't attempt it. If you are going to shim take out as much water as possible if not all. Not sure your tank size, but if you are estimating 5000 lbs I'd assume 400-500 gal. It would be a bad idea to be hammering shims under the stand with that much water sitting on top of it.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I figured that, one can dream though. Not an expert, logic tells me the same thing you said, but sometimes people come up with amazing solutions to complicated things. Well I'll be taking it down to put some weld-on on the seams in about a month and a half, I'll just make sure it's level then.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I figured that, one can dream though. Not an expert, logic tells me the same thing you said, but sometimes people come up with amazing solutions to complicated things. Well I'll be taking it down to put some weld-on on the seams in about a month and a half, I'll just make sure it's level then.
Good plan. Yea, I don't see how it's possible to address things without a complete drain. It stinks, but at least you'll know it's fixed. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store