Stocking ~200 gallon office corner tank

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
So I finally get to fulfill my dream of having a large (tax-deductible) tank in my own dental office!

I have a couple companies working on quotes for different shapes, but it will def be a corner tank, 48"x 48" x 30". Just not sure if it will be curved (quarter cylinder), or triangular/pentagonal. Leaning towards non-curved even before I see the prices, since I'm a bit worried about distortion as well.

As far as stock, I am leaning towards geos with a few other cichlids, but open to suggestions. I def want at least one large fish, but I don't want to go the route of all aggressive cichlids.

These are the species I've narrowed it down to, but how would you stock it?

Large Cichlid:
Robertsoni
Synspilum
Oscar (prob not a good idea?)
Red Spotted Severum

Medium Cichlids:
EBJD
Blue Acara
Nicaraguense
Sajica

Geos:
Orange Head Tapajos
Maybe an Altifrons, Heckelli, or couple Winemilleri mixed in

Dithers:
No idea

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I would keep it peaceful. 4 RH taps, 2 Sevs (Rotkeils are nice) or a pair of Urau amps. or a pair of Chocolates or 2 Oscars (Astronotus crassipinnis) not a petsmart Astronotus ocellatus, if you can find them. and then 6 Festivum. Good office tank combination IMO and not your everyday fish that will draw your patients to the tank. The A. crassipinnis are hot but may not be around right now.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Oscars are a great idea, your patients will love them. Id go with a nice lemon oscar if you can find one, I never knew how nice they could be till I saw a fat 3 incher at a pet store yesterday, he is gorgeous and the color is more gold than yellow. Theyre like red oscars with gold instead of red.

Id go with a lemon oscar, a chocolate ciclid, ebjd and a rotkeil sev.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^ agreed thats why I suggested ONLY A. Crass as an option due to their smaller size as an adult compared to A. ocellatus which is IMO too big for the foot print. The fish I mentioned are all generally speaking 10" or smaller. It's not the gallons as much as the swimming space and temperament I was considering when making suggestions. The Urau may need some special requirements and knowledge to be successful, make decorating the tank a little difficult.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Lemon oscars are beautiful nice suggestion. I wouldnt mix the o with ca cichlids especially in that foot print (already stated) oscars can be aggressive but nothing compared to a ca in a bad mood. Nice tank though

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Everything but Oscar for that foot print, the Synspillum would be the large cichlid that you are looking for, great stock listed, but I would leave the Oscar out...

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Everything but Oscar for that foot print, the Synspillum would be the large cichlid that you are looking for, great stock listed, but I would leave the Oscar out...
Respectfully, this is a business and a waiting room, a more engaging, interactive fish will engage more attention and serve a better purpose than a floating log like a Synspillum. No other cichlid brings as many smiles to peoples faces, and this being a dentists office, its a no brainer.

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
True, although I am thinking of it from a maintenance point of view also, IMO Oscar create a lot of waste, I am thinking with all the other cichlid in there, the Synspillum would do well... Just my opinion.
Respectfully, this is a business and a waiting room, a more engaging, interactive fish will engage more attention and serve a better purpose than a floating log like a Synspillum. No other cichlid brings as many smiles to peoples faces, and this being a dentists office, its a no brainer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store