pressurized sand filter energy hog solutions?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
After reviewing lots of different products, I think I have decided to go with some sort of pressurized sand filter for my 300g.

I have read that these systems absolutely devour energy. I have an adjustable jabao dct12000. Is it possible to replace the pump on a sand filter with two of these pumps? Will it still be effective?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I am considering the Hayward version of the ultima 2. It just won't be worth it to spend $800 a year keeping that damn thing running as is. Otherwise seems perfect. I plan on using a 65g acrylic sump as a mechanical pre-filter

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
..was just discussing this in another thread.. those sand filters need massive positive displacement pumps that can create huge amounts of head... so yes, they're way more expensive to run. Hayward sells their systems with 1HP - 1.5HP pumps... these are 15-20AMPs versus around 3 amps for the largest certrifical pump from say Reefeflo.

Hayward documentation for the filter itself suggests that its time to clear their sand filters when you see it gaining 10PSI in a day.. certrifical pumps can't even generate that in the first place.

Pond filters like the Ultimas are really low resistance in comparison.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
..was just discussing this in another thread.. those sand filters need massive positive displacement pumps that can create huge amounts of head... so yes, they're way more expensive to run. Hayward sells their systems with 1HP - 1.5HP pumps... these are 15-20AMPs versus around 3 amps for the largest certrifical pump from say Reefeflo.

Hayward documentation for the filter itself suggests that its time to clear their sand filters when you see it gaining 10PSI in a day.. certrifical pumps can't even generate that in the first place.

Pond filters like the Ultimas are really low resistance in comparison.

Please let me clarify...THESE FILTERS ARE IDENTICAL

I filled mine with sand bc it mechanically and biologically filters the water better, that's the hole point right?

If you want to perform routine maintenance once or twice a year then buy a pump that uses more energy to allow you to do that, you absolutely dont need anymore pump than what your probably already using you just can't wait 6 months to clean it.

You could toss your filter socks and plumb a cheap sand filter with the pump you already have and you wouldn't believe how much better they work.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
my last 2 cents on this...

These are canister filters built and designed to filter enormous tanks...with a pump and media. Were taking the smallest one out there and putting it under our aquariums. I bought one because I was tired of cleaning canisters and failed at coming up with a way to back flush the ones I had because they aren't built strong enough to handle flow in both directions, pool filters are and all you have to do is turn a lever to reverse the water flow. Ive used gravel/sand in canisters and in trickle filters because its so much cheaper and does the same thing, prolly better. Same reason im using it in the pool filter. You can fill it with whatever you want and run it with whatever pump you want.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Please let me clarify...THESE FILTERS ARE IDENTICAL

I filled mine with sand bc it mechanically and biologically filters the water better, that's the hole point right?

If you want to perform routine maintenance once or twice a year then buy a pump that uses more energy to allow you to do that, you absolutely dont need anymore pump than what your probably already using you just can't wait 6 months to clean it.

You could toss your filter socks and plumb a cheap sand filter with the pump you already have and you wouldn't believe how much better they work.

they are not identical if one uses sand and the other doesn't. I was talking about this difference

also, you can't usually put sand in a pond filter as the sand would go right through it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store