New curupira

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
New 8 inch hoplias I got from Wes settling in nicely. Doesn't seem to want to leave the ornates side, he's quite confusing.

uploadfromtaptalk1425245554142.jpg

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
That won't last long! Once settled in mine bit the tail off on my 16" aba aba knife so I moved him and then he chewed up a couple newborn ray pups after they were born.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Ya I agree with Blkpiranha they are really aggressive wolf fish the two most aggressive wolf fish are aimara and curupira and I would recommend keeping your curupira alone.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Not to sound rude, but besides that one experience have you any others? And is that only what you've read. Because I've been reading on this fish for years and kept Malas and an ery. I'd never give anyone any advice on the ery as I've only had one so it could have been and exception as far as tank mates go. And malas I've always housed with tank mates no problem. Many people comm curus and say they're one of the easier ones to comm. Obviously this depends on specific specimen rather than species but I've read of more non aggressive curus than aggressive ones.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
IMO, they are meaner than the malas in general. Obviously, it depends on the individual fish also. My Aimara Wolffish is about 8" and I have no doubt that it would attack and try to kill ANYTHING that I try to put into the aquarium with it. As soon as my house and fishroom are finished shortly, I will have multiples of each Hoplias species including the curupira. I really believe that the curupira can be kept in a community tank. But, it depends on the individual fish, tank size, and other fish it's housed with. If it were my fish, I'd keep it solo. I think that is what the other person who posted meant also. Such a nice fish, I'd hate for it to get wounded or killed by another fish or for it to do the same to others as well. I think that they have a great personality, and are cool enough to warrant a tank pretty much all to themselves. Just my humble opinion. Send some more pictures please. Maybe some close ups. Thanks

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Fair enough. And I've had him since Thursday, so far so good. Only tank mates is the ornate, 5 inch mala, and a 5-6 inch odoe. The only thing is he hasn't eaten. But I figure he's either still settling in or maybe I got him while he's on a hunger strike like they're known to do. Time will tell. My experience with malas, I've had 5 including this one, they don't start problems, but finish them. I've never had a mala outright attack or start a fight. Only one which would nudge other fish over and over if they stayed in front of it for a period of time. He hasn't shown any aggression yet as said. Don't plan to add any tank mates. Might get rid of the odoe but that'd be all. I want him the mala and ornate. Going to look into upgrading from the 120 to a 180 this summer. Maybe larger. Have to see what I can find for what price. And I like your view as lol. That's why I don't want to add anything. If it comes down to it he'd be solo but I'd like to try the comm. Trial and error seems to be the way with these. Also I try but every time I come he goes under the driftwood and lays with the bichir. Though I find him staring at me if I'm not paying mind to him. I'll try to see to put more as he settles in. And I hope one day to comm aimara. One day when I have a house and a large basement for an extremely large tank. Want to do something like DB but with less fish. Maybe all the wolffish and a dorado. One day I'll try maybe. I'm only 16 and pay for all this myself so I'll be saving till the summer and see what I can get. I have another mala growing out. Seems to be the orange eye variant not sure though as it constantly hides. I actually just saw it eating a goldfish. Post a pic in a sec.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Lol as I was writing he was watching me and as I got closer he went under the wood.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'll turn the other light on and take another pic of him
Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1425264136461.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store