Big Male, Small Female Breeding?

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Has anyone ever had a larger male breed with a smaller female? My male leo is chasing around my female hystrix and it doesn't seem possible. He may be around 15" and she is like 10", but he seems very interested. Just seems strange.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Has anyone ever had a larger male breed with a smaller female? My male leo is chasing around my female hystrix and it doesn't seem possible. He may be around 15" and she is like 10", but he seems very interested. Just seems strange.

I would assume it's totally normal. Especially regarding the respective maturity sizes of both species.

Regarding Hystrix, I have a mature male, no more than 9" and he is starting to show interest in immature female tank mates which are an inch or more smaller than him and not ready to breed yet

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
you would need to be very careful. the damage a normal male can do to a normal sized female can be quite bad.
for a large male and a small female the damage could easily be several times worse just because of the size.
also the activity is often at night when your not around.
im sure its possible however most likely more difficult for the male (which could alSO mean more damage before mating is acheived).
i would be concered about the female.

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Yeah I watch all of them closely and separate or move as needed. So far no issues. Haven't seen him chasing as much either. I'll keep my eyes on it.

It would be an interesting hybrid though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store