Any ray guys running Ultima 2 Pressure filters

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
Got ahold of an Ultima 2 in a package deal not sure if i should part with it or run it. ive always heard good things about them just never wanted to spend the coin on a new one. the website claims it only needs 2k gph for a pump so that wouldnt be hard to do at all and it seems great for having a crazy fast way to do a water change... what would be the best way to plumb this thing? does it need a prefilter? would it be best going through my sump? i know there out there just not sure how common they are on ray tanks. any feedback would be awesome!:cry:

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Plenty run them without a pre filter, I myself have been thinking about converting a sand filter into a bead filter, I know a couple people running them and they are good units. What size is it?

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
I run bead filters on 2 of my ray tanks and they work well. Make sure that you get a pump that is at the top of the gph range at 15 feet of head.The filter and the plumbing will be aprox this much. You want the max flow not only for filtration but also to correctly backwash the Ultima 2 Pressure filter.

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
i ran bead filters on all my big tanks.i plumbed them directly into the tank and places the suction about 9" off the bottom and used that system to do water changes.i just shut off the sump and backwashed the ultima to the lower the tank the desired amount and refilled the tank then restarted the moving bed sumps.i'll do it again once i setup another system.

mybluem3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Prospect Heights,IL
About how how much did do you guys change when back flushing? I've seen multiple different answers just don't know what the sweet spot? U could move a lot of water in a hurry at those flow rates.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
About how how much did do you guys change when back flushing? I've seen multiple different answers just don't know what the sweet spot? U could move a lot of water in a hurry at those flow rates.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have a bead filter very much like a Ultima 2 on a 300 gallon tank. I just let it backwash until about 30% is gone for my weekly water change. That seems to be more than enough to clean the filter.

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
I have a bead filter very much like a Ultima 2 on a 300 gallon tank. I just let it backwash until about 30% is gone for my weekly water change. That seems to be more than enough to clean the filter.
yuppp..sounds about like I did it.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
i use a 24" Hayward filter modified for the ultima media. I love it makes water changes fast and easy. I didn't have the $1,700 to spend on one for the same size but making my own worked. getting one on a trade works even better though I would use it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store