Fx6 question

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
OK I have a couple of these on my big tank and iv only had them on there for 1 month. I left my house the tank was perfect clear and looking good I get home and the tank is cloudy like it hasn't been cleaned in for ever then I noticed one of the fx6s was purging it's self randomly could this be why the tank looks like this? could the filter be that dirty after just one month? I'm just confused it's so random.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Hello there ,

The FX 6 purges its' self every 12 hours in order to eliminate any air which may have gotten in to the filter. PERFECTLY NORMAL. I have two of them and they go off for 1 min at 11:35 AM and 11:35 PM, this is a good thing. as for the cloudyness of the aquarium , that depends on a few things. Do you have any fish in the aquarium ?. if not , were you running a fish less cycle ?

what are the water parameters ? also , if it is purging any more then twice in 24 hours , i would double check all of the fittings to make sure everything is connected and also make sure you do not have any slack in you hoses' from both intake and output. only use what is necessary as air can be trapped other wise.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Hi there I know the purging is normal but if the filter was really dirty and it purged and started back up again could this blow a bunch of crap in the tank making it cloudy? I have many big fish in there it's been up and running for a while water test is as perfect as it can be.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Hi there I know the purging is normal but if the filter was really dirty and it purged and started back up again could this blow a bunch of crap in the tank making it cloudy? I have many big fish in there it's been up and running for a while water test is as perfect as it can be.
It would not blow anything back into the tank. The intake is primed and even if your canister is empty and you open the intake valve it would only push all the air out through the output and stop once the canister is full.

without seeing you water parameters your guess is as good as mine. When you say cloudy i presume its a bacterial bloom which would indicate more ammonia than your bacteria can handle which indicates your tank has not been cycled properly andcant handle the bioload.

Do a 50% water change and gravel vac see if that helps

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I do a 5 to 10% water change everyday becuz I have so many big fish in my tank I figured out what was wrong, I can't use the U shaped pieces that attach to the hoses that hang over the tank becuz my tank is so thick and they won't fit so on the intake where the rubber fitting meets intake pipe was coming out so it was sucking allot of air but I got it figured out and as fare as the tank being cloudy when my RTC decides to take a crap for lack of better words he blows it up..lol so I'm thinking that made the tank cloudy..lol Grose but probably true.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
I do a 5 to 10% water change everyday becuz I have so many big fish in my tank I figured out what was wrong, I can't use the U shaped pieces that attach to the hoses that hang over the tank becuz my tank is so thick and they won't fit so on the intake where the rubber fitting meets intake pipe was coming out so it was sucking allot of air but I got it figured out and as fare as the tank being cloudy when my RTC decides to take a crap for lack of better words he blows it up..lol so I'm thinking that made the tank cloudy..lol Grose but probably true.

Glad it's cleared its self up for you. and yeah I guess you caught the fish just after a dump lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store