Quiet Air Pumps

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hi all!
Who makes a quiet air pump? I'm looking for one to power a sponge filter in a 75 gallon, thanks :)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've tried a number of brands. But I like whisper.

I've had good luck with your basic tetra air pumps. They even sell them at walmart.uploadfromtaptalk1425297064110.jpg

I've got half a dozen of these things. They seem to be a little loud right out of the box but after a few days you can barely tell they are on.

I have one in my living room, the bubbles from the air stone are louder than the pump.

I've also found they are louder if you put more back pressure on the pump. They seem quieter when running a single hose versus a gang valve. Alot of this has to do with getting a large enough pump.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Thanks guys, Ill look into both. Maybe I can get one of the fish store guys to fire them all up for me. Wish me luck :D

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Bump. Any other suggestions? What would be the quietest air pump?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Air pumps fundamentally make noise, only so much you can do to dampen it. I've had decent luck with tetra whisper and the fusion air pumps. Just make sure it's not touching anything off of the pads on the legs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I think this is one of those "you get what you pay for" scenarios. The higher the price...
Lol, yea maybe. But the Tetra ones are amongst the cheapest, and it sounds like people are saying they are not that loud. Tetra has been around a long time, I'd like to think they have their air pumps together. But I've read the ones made for tanks larger than 40 gallons are loud. I have read the Hydor ones are almost silent, anyone have one? They aren't much more expensive, but will probably have to order online :/

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The Tetra name has been around forever, but they have been bought out by a conglomerate and it isn't the same

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store