Secure lid for bowfront tank

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I need to make a secure lid for my bowfront tank, 17" either end 24" middle, 6' long, because I plan to have a moray eel in there that are known to push lids off. Anyone have any good ideas for a DIY lid that will work well for this? Would prefer to be able to have my lights rest on it, so something with some meshing or wiring would be ideal as long as I can properly secure it. Thanks.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Why not get a sheet of 6mm perspex then cut it and drill holes. Can then secure it with velcro straps.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it and ask if I have any other questions. It's braced, so would need 3 separate sheets (or maybe not), but the velcro is a great idea. Thanks for the input, exactly what I was looking for, anyone else?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
If it's braced, I would go with 3 separate pieces for convenience. I would make sure you use "Polycarbonate" or equivalent so that it doesn't warp in time. I was using some 3/4" "acrylic" to cover my overflow and it warped.

You could even use 1/4" glass depending on what your current tank is and the look you're going for - it will be a bit heavier though. My tank is glass so I went with glass lids, and had them drill holes and added a locking mechanism with some polycarbonate. The glass pieces sit on top with some "rubber feet/stops". I don't have a good picture, but you can see how the glass lids sitting on top of the tank with some the swivel clasp in this picture. HTH.

WP_20150220_010.jpg

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya, I mean getting glass cut is all well and good, and I might end up doing that in the end, but to get 3 pieces cut do fit with the bow will cost a fair bit. I was more looking for a DIY thing I can end up doing for cheap so I can put more money into the sump lol, I am liking the velcro option for security as moray eels are huge escape artists. The tank is braced, I appreciate your input. I made snake lids using wood and chicken wire before, was fairly convenient, the bow in the front pane just makes things ... a pain.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I hear ya...the glass was just something I wanted to throw out there.

It can still be done the same with Polycorbonate. Whether 1 piece or 3 pieces, and depending on where you buy the material they will cut out for you. "TAPS" sells this stuff and I believe are throughout the country. They will charge ~$20 bucks to route out whatever pattern you give. That's not bad considering we were liking the plexi idea. BTW, if you go that route you can drill the holes and make your own clasp to swivel and lock against the brace of your tank preventing the fish from lifting it. Else, go the velcro route. good luck.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya I like the clasp and swivel lock better than the velcro, for aesthetic and convenience reasons. Unfortunately where I live, anything that is necessary for tasks like this you will never find. You would not believe the hoops I have had to jump through to try to get my hands on some weld-on #40. The plexi will likely be easier than other things to find, but finding a good shop where they will do a good job cutting it for you and not charge glass prices, that will be the toughy. Half my aquarium searching needs would be entirely eliminated if I live 2 hours east, believe me. Thanks for the replies.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I think I am going to end up getting the glass cut. Measuring these pieces sucks though because of the bow, hopefully I won't be off in the measurements. Maybe oceanic would have a guide or something, I should email them.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I made a lid for my sump from 1/4" acrylic. To solve the bowing issue I put some thin guage aluminium angle irons across the span of the lid and secured it with #10 stainless machine screws on 3/16" holes.

uploadfromtaptalk1425920195463.jpg
You get the idea.

For a bow I'd just make a cardboard template and either trace it on to acrylic or take it to a glass shop

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Genius! Why didn't I think of the cardboard cutout, my goodness so simple. Thanks for all your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store