Setting up a Moray Eel tank, have some questions

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I purchased a 180 gallon bowfront, 17" at the ends, 24" in the middle, 6 foot long and 28" high. It came with a 35 gallon sump half filled with bio balls, with room for filter pads on top of them and spongers before they enter the main output chamber. I have always wanted a gymnothorax favagineus, tesselata eel, alone in a tank however I have a feeling that I will not be able to keep it in my 180 for as long as I would want to keep it, so I will likely have to settle for another type of aggressive eel that wont get as big, but close. I plan on buying a protein skimmer rated for 250-300 gallons, and a whole lot of live rock. Some questions that popped up while doing some research, this will be my first SW tank ever:

How big of a turnover rate will these guys be comfortable in? The tank came with a 950 GPH mag drive, I would like to double that if possible. Would 1 eel or max 3 smaller eels be happy with 950? How about closer to 2000? I havent figured out my overflow drain situation, currently has overflow walls with 1.75" and 1.25" holes (2 in each corner, 4 total), trying to find a way to plumb it effectively to maximize my gph output.

Is my sump too small? I don't have the most room to put live rock in there, but I will have some live rock in there and a lot in the tank for the eel to hide in. Would you guys advise making a bigger sump or if properly used will the 25 gallon be okay?

Is RODI water necessary? I have good water quality where I live, I know 1 guy that keeps a tessy and just treats it with prime and has no issues, but what is your guys take on it?

Is there any specific lighting I would benefit from? I have a T8 or T5 balast sitting around somewhere, is that good enough for a moray? Will I get algae issues?

Any other considerations? I got about a month to DIY everything I can to make this system run like a top before I have to temporarily house some FW rays in there while I reseal their current home, and after that it is Moray hunting (fishing?) time. Any suggestions/pictures of cool species that I could comfortably house in my setup that get decently thich and aggressive enough are also welcome. Thanks.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thank you, I have reviewed it briefly, will look through more thoroughly. Looking forward to more input.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So I am getting that the more turnover the better, so I take it my 950 probably wont cut it. Still not sure if the 35 gallon sump will be big enough, something is telling me not really. I think I will be fine not using RODI water and I don't think I need any special light considerations.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Doubling the output and sump volume. I wish search worked better, anyone have any good reads on big moray or Gymnothorax favagineus keeping? How much live rock would you recommend for 200 or system for 1 big eel?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
150 to 250 pounds IMO. I always refer people to wetwebmedia.com also. Marco who has written a lot of articles and answered a lot of emails there really knows his stuff. I suggest you rethink the RODI, and agree on not needing special lighting. I think the 950 if that is your return pump size is probably ok, but I would try for about 3000 to 4000 GPH of powerheads in the tank.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I will be doubling the 950, at a 5-6' head that will only work out to 1200-1400 anyway. I'll get a 3600 gph powerhead in there too. I really don't think I need RODI because my water in London is suprisingly good, and in fact there is another guy that keeps a tesselata in town and has never once used RODI and it is doing quite well. But of course, I will do some research when the time comes. 150-250 pounds eh, no problem, gonna be interesting making caves outta that lol.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay maybe we can get a few more posters on here if I ask this:

If I don't want tesselata due to the size, aka I don't want to upgrade my 180 bowfront, keeping in mind the corner overflow boxes and the dinky 17" at the ends, what other "monster" eel species can I keep in there? I want something big and thick for sure, but maybe a step down from tessa. A cool pattern and colours would be sweet, something emerald green would be neat so it can truly be the leviathan in my household. If I am going to step down from tessa, maybe I can fit another 1 or 2 in there that would cap out sort of where I want them. Suggestions? Throw pics, names, whatever at me, sick of thinking about plumbing, I want some fish p*rn to look at during work lol. Oh, and... sources to find these creatures? I am in Canada, I would take a trip accross the border to fedex to pickup in a heartbeat though.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay maybe we can get a few more posters on here if I ask this:

If I don't want tesselata due to the size, aka I don't want to upgrade my 180 bowfront, keeping in mind the corner overflow boxes and the dinky 17" at the ends, what other "monster" eel species can I keep in there? I want something big and thick for sure, but maybe a step down from tessa. A cool pattern and colours would be sweet, something emerald green would be neat so it can truly be the leviathan in my household. If I am going to step down from tessa, maybe I can fit another 1 or 2 in there that would cap out sort of where I want them. Suggestions? Throw pics, names, whatever at me, sick of thinking about plumbing, I want some fish p*rn to look at during work lol. Oh, and... sources to find these creatures? I am in Canada, I would take a trip accross the border to fedex to pickup in a heartbeat though.
Noone? Where are the moray keepers?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
What about a trio of Murena helena? They are beautiful, don´t get too big and allow you to save money on the heating

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store