I love sumps, But I am FED up

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I love running a sump for all the obvious reasons.
But I am TIRED of adjusting my gate valve every day.

Some mornings it will be totally fine and I come home from work and the sump is practically overflowing.

Also, every time I shut the ball valves to change a filter sock, I flip the valves back on but the water levels become wayyy off and ultimately i have to adjust the gate valve to compensate.

Is there any way to fix this so i only have to top off water when it evaporate? or If you run a sump expect constant valve adjustments and potential overflows?

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
You need to explain or show pictures of what type of overflow setup you have before anyone can help you.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
You need to explain or show pictures of what type of overflow setup you have before anyone can help you.
Sorry, It is a reef-ready 180 gallon with two corner overflows.

I tried two different ways.
1. Just a straight pipe with a strainer at full siphon
2. 180* U tube (open pipe, no strainer)

!Bsgb7UgCGk~$(KGrHqUOKi0EvPW0knWWBL4Hpt2,M!~~_35.JPGoverflow.jpg

!Bsgb7UgCGk~$(KGrHqUOKi0EvPW0knWWBL4Hpt2,M!~~_35.JPG

overflow.jpg

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Where are these valves you're talking about? You're not just overfilling the sump, right?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
To clarify, you mentioned both gate valve and ball valve - which one is on the (durso?) drain pipe? Do you one ball valve for one drain and the ball vale in the other drain in the second overflow?

Do you have an overflow box? Your sump should be able to hold the full volume of the overflow box. Sounds like you need a stronger return pump.

Oh and watch out for a reverse drain on the loc line. keep that just below the surface and drill a siphon break hole it it.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Where are these valves you're talking about? You're not just overfilling the sump, right?
The ball valve and gate valve are attached to the pump. I'm not overfilling the sump, the level is constantly varying

To clarify, you mentioned both gate valve and ball valve - which one is on the (durso?) drain pipe? Do you one ball valve for one drain and the ball vale in the other drain in the second overflow?
I have a ball valve on each drain pipe. And a ball valve and gate valve on each return/pump side.

Do you have an overflow box? Your sump should be able to hold the full volume of the overflow box. Sounds like you need a stronger return pump.

Oh and watch out for a reverse drain on the loc line. keep that just below the surface and drill a siphon break hole it it.
Its a drilled tank, so no overflow box. The pumps are magdrive 18 and 24 so they are dialed back a lot. it is definitely not weak pumps.

I have check valves off both my pumps as well to compensate for any siphoning should the power go out. The drill hole sounds like a good idea for the bottom of my 180* Pipe to break the siphon sooner, thank you!

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Get rid of the pumps. Or run just one mag18. I've run borh amag 18 and 2 mag 9.5 on 180 reef ready tanks. Never had a problem with either setup wide open

stingraybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
Toledo,OH
When my sump level would constantly fluctuate when I built my 40B, I found I was getting an air bubble stuck in the siphon. I also had my drain pipe too far under the water apparently. Once I made that pipe shorter and made sure my return pump could keep up, everything worked fine. Also make sure you have gate valves where you need them, not ball valves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store