Feeding comparison

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
How does the tilapia compare to feeder fish in terms of growth rate I fed tilapia for about 3 months to my aro and his growth was OK not great I started feeding him massivore pellets and his growth improved allot. Now I kno the gar will not eat the pellets but he loves the feeders obviously, but how does the tilapia compare to feeders anybody?? In terms of growth.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I would guess ounce for ounce the tilapia is more nutritious. However, the predatory affect of hunting down the live fish may lead to him eating more calories, thus growing more...I know that's no help...lol With that being said unless you're raising your own feeders I'd just go with the tilapia due to potential risk of parasites.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Well I'm not concerned with the potential of diseases becuz the guy that breads the feeders is a total pro he does just that for a living and he's been doing it for 50+ years and takes a huge amount of pride in what he does.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Well I'm not concerned with the potential of diseases becuz the guy that breads the feeders is a total pro he does just that for a living and he's been doing it for 50+ years and takes a huge amount of pride in what he does.
There are professional feeder breeders out there? I wonder if he sells exotic feeders like dovii fry for aggression or really in shape goldfish for the protein content. I'd imagine if thats all he does he'd come up with some very funky feeders.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
He does a couple different kinds that I know of gold fish of all sizes karp fat heads and a couple others that I just can't think of but he is indeed a pro he sells to some of the fish stores in socal and 1 big dealer as well its people's poor quality tank water that makes this fish sick not his.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Spoken like someone that's never seen a real commercial feeder goldfish farm. The fish are raised in such high density that disease transfer is fairly common. So, large breeding facilities incorporate large dosage copper treatments to help keep disease transfer to a minimum. The feeders surviving to shipping size are then starved so they can be packed 1,000+ to a bag for shipping to middleman facilities and then to lfs. Customers buy them and, as is the usual case, the bag, water and all, is dumped into their home tanks to offer predators the least amount of nutritional value and the greatest risk of disease transfer. Plus, these goldfish feeders also offer huge amounts of thiaminase as compared to other species.

You might want to check out:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?12521-Live-Fish-As-Food-Nutritional-Value-amp-Concerns

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
There is no middle man he delivers in person to my lfs I've been buying feeders for 10 years from him and have never had one issue, all of his fish are super bright and look incredibley healthy these are not your Walmart feeder fish, I hate doing feeder fish for food but I do when I have to I'm not going to spend 1000s of dollar's on fish and feed them garbage and I know for a fact he feeds his fish even on the day of delivery. My lfs orders 10k a week and I have yet to see 1 dead fish swimming in there tanks and so many people who don't kno any better up here just feed there fish feeder fish and I have never heard about fish getting sick due to feeders he's been in the game 50 years and advertises best quality feeders money can buy and it shows.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
There is no debate on who's fish knowledge is superior here oddball I know you know allot more then me and I take in and hang on to every word u say but I do know these are good feeders even tho that sounds like a oxymoron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store