105g custom stand and bookshelf sides

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I'm a longtime lurker here, but I still only have "community" fish, and have yet to make the jump to monster fish.

Anyhow, I finished my setup yesterday, its an 84"X18"X18" custom acrylic tank that I got off craigslist for $100. I built a concrete/foam background and cut up some driftwood that I foraged from a lake. There's an arduino with a touchscreen interface that controls lights, feeders, filters, etc. I used to have a 50g that was up and running about 5 years. I sold it when I got this one, I don't want the hassle of upkeeping multiple tanks.

The tank/stand take up 12 feet, the entire wall of my dining room. It took me 8 months and way too much headache to build, but I am quite happy with the results. Just felt like sharing :).

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Looks good! Could you do some close ups of the decoration and fish, it looks very nice.

FISHLOVER4EVER

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2015
pa
VERY NICE I AM NEW TO THIS SITE, THIS IS MY SECOND DAY ON HERE AND I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS SITE I AM A FISHLOVER AND HAVE BEEN A LOVER OF FISH SINCE I WAS A KID. WELL BUDDY YOU DID A GREAT JOB ON THAT TANK SET UP, LOOKS LIKE ALL YOUR HARD WORK PAYED OFF. VERY NICE THANKS FOR SHARING.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Beautiful job on the stand, canopy and bookcases, thanks for sharing the pics and the link to the build!

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Gorgeous tank, I am thinking of building a background and was wondering what kind of paint you used?

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Gorgeous tank, I am thinking of building a background and was wondering what kind of paint you used?
I used concrete dye. Home Depot sells 4 different colors, and I used all 4 in different layers to try to create some dynamic effects. The coloration is a little different after the concrete dries, and then looks different once its been submerged for a few months, so its pretty hard to really predict exactly how the colors will end up. Its not that hard to get a natural "rocky" look though.

Base coat on one of my pieces:

After some layers of colored concrete:

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Awesome, thanks! Did you add any kind of sealent or clear coat? Or just the concrete and let it dry?

DrawnToBeaches

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
Orange county, CA
Absolutely beautiful, if you want to start with mini monsters but love community tanks try geophagus altifrons or geophagus orange/red head tapas they grow to about 7 inches and are peaceful with a decent group

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Awesome, thanks! Did you add any kind of sealent or clear coat? Or just the concrete and let it dry?
I only used concrete. If I were to do it again, I would first use more concrete, like 10 coats (it dries really thin), and I would definitely use some sort of sealant like drylok or some fiberglass resin based stuff. I didn't use sealant because I didn't like the shininess and texture, but there are ways around that. I've heard mixing sand in with the sealant makes it look and feel better. It gets coated with algae and aquarium gunk after awhile anyway, so its probably pretty irrelevant.

Absolutely beautiful, if you want to start with mini monsters but love community tanks try geophagus altifrons or geophagus orange/red head tapas they grow to about 7 inches and are peaceful with a decent group
I am putting more mini monsters in the tank! I currently have in the tank a school of clown loaches (they're still small), two 8" bichirs, and a school of tiger stripe silver dollars! Will post pictures later when I've cleaned the tank and re-arranged the plants somewhat.

Reactions: DrawnToBeaches
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store