A Sucker (Myth) Is Born Every Minute

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
A very good article. Something that I have said for a long time about specific fish such as Carp, Buffalo, Suckers, etc. Maybe someone can benefit from this article and change their ways.

http://blog.nature.org/science/2015/03/02/a-sucker-myth-is-born-every-minute/

Part of the article.....

"Sadly, this viewpoint still persists. Consider the comments on an Idaho fishing forum concerning what you should do if you catch a sucker:

“Kill and through [sic] back.”

“If you catch them while trying to catch trout of coarse [sic] they are in direct competition with the trout. They eat the same thing. There is only so much food and if the suckers are eating it. Less food for the trout.”

“yeah a good slice to the belly or a few puncture wounds to pop there [sic] air bladder works great for a catch and release on those suckers and carp!!!!”

“I have a close friend who is a biologist… He simply slices open the belly and returns them back to the water. His theory is they will be food for something. And wont [sic] be eating the fish we have come there to catch. Side note….Look at Big Springs in Island Park. Huge suckers in there now…Makes me sick…”

A lot of fishermen only want to benefit themselves and not nature.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Great article. Always nice to see that there's hope for all the rough species out there! Rough fish really is a great website, I'm a member and I never thought I'd see so many like minded people with conservation in mind.

Xotesi

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2011
Fresno
Great article. I've always heard that suckers were dirty, but have never really believed it cause I always see them in clear rivers.

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
a lot of old timers smoke or pickle the suckers and eat them. The meat honestly doesnt look bad but they are excellent catfish bait so I keep them for that. The tiny ones make great smallmouth bait too!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
There is some truth in the sucker myths. White sucker isn't native to most areas (they are popular bait and bait dumps are common). There is some evidence that non-native white suckers can be competitors with native trout, especially the brook trout for same resources in some creek systems, usually because there are no predators in the creek that prey on larger white suckers and you have overpopulated suckers. White suckers are hardy species and can survive in any waters, even if the lake is dirtiest. Management for both roughfish and gamefish populations can be benefits the ecosystems

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
White suckers are harvested in some areas here in Maine and sold for lobster bait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store