Calling all experts! Need help with florida cichla

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
As the title states I need experts to chime in on what they think the Florida peacock bass actually are. I don't know if all are aware but, Florida refuses to admit there are monoculus cichla in Florida. Yet the IGFA is now reconizing Florida as having 2 species eligible for world records. If fact both current monoculus records are from Florida at 7.0lbs. And currently some over 10lbs are waiting approval. I need help in expert opinion and resources (links if possible)for a project to prove all the Florida peacocks are hybrids not 2 seperate species.. I've attached some picks I'd like opinions on what species they are and why too.. Thanks for all your help..
Sven kullander cichlid expert IGFA is relying on said last pick was absolutely a monoculus and nothing else..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Thanks gangster. Anything in particular to point out why you think that? I know why I'd just like to document your observations as well.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
This is going to be one of those witch hunts. No mater how many times or how many people say they are hybrid mutts someone is going to argue the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
That's why I want opinions as to why not just ,Ya hybrids, as a response. I'm currently collecting all data and submitting an article to Florida sportsman and other outdoor magazines to draw attention to this. Thx

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Just let it go and amp up their local non native species. Maybe it will be good for the introduction of new cichla species.

Or just look at pics of real pure mono's....and occels. These have traits of both.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Ok, the lack of a horizontal line, mono typically have a patchy horizontal line. Monos typically have bolder and more solid black vertical lines that go all the way to the horizontal line but not over.

These fish also show another trait of ocell with the last vertical bar being a dot not a bar. Some ocell do have a bar like a Guyana. But French Guiana, brokos, and other ocell typically don't.

One more thing I'll mention is the deep red fin and belly coloring is typically a ocell trait, mono typically have a lighter orange.

There's a lot more but I'm good for now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
The spot/incomplete bar above the lateral line is an ocell trait. That would be a third bar should be on a mono. Those fish in the picture are hybrids.

There is a 1999 journal article based on 10 years of netting that describes the introduced Cichla, and the original 1984 proposal by Florida fish and wildlife only describes it as Cichla ssp. -- which is the scientific notation for /MULTIPLE/ species. The only online reference I can find to it is an archived document in google search, the original document is not available online that I can see.

A proposal for introducing peacock bass (Cichla spp.) in southeast Florida canals

PL Shafland, F Game, FWF Commmission - 1984 - myfwc.com

ABSTRACT Introduction of peacock bass (Cichla spp.) is proposed for the purposes of
enhancing urban sportfishing opportunities and increasing predator pressure on abundant
exotic forage species that dominate southeast Florida canal systems. Peacock bass will ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store