The dominate fish

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I think it's crazy that the dominate fish in a tank can change from one week to the next. Last week the hybrid sunfish was the dominate guy and now the bluegill has reclaimed the title (he was in there before the hybrid). The only other fish is a 3" bullhead and he doesn't care at all what the other fish are doing he just swims passed them lol.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you only have 2 sunfish in the tank? If so, that's probably why. Lepomis sps. should really be kept either solely, or in groups of 5-6+ to prevent large amounts of aggression. 3-4 may work if it's a large tank with plenty of cover. It's also key to have 2-3 females to every male.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I added another hybrid and a the whole tanks attitude changed. Then I added a small pumpkinseed and it changed things again. It's pretty cool seeing the social order changing by adding fish. The top fish is still the top fish but there are new power struggles haha. The little catfish still doesn't give a crap what the sunfish are doing, he's loco. He did jump out though one night and I found him in a bucket the next morning he's fine now but it freaked me out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store