What is the purpose of the notches or teeth in an overflow box?

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
What is the purpose of the notches or teeth in an overflow box? Should I implement the same on my PVC pipe drain, not planning on adding an overflow box.

Planning on adding a large diamond screen on top of the pvc drain, the screen would be cylindrical shape and inserted inside the pipe to prevent any fish or objects from blocking the pipe

thanks

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
They keep large objects from going in the drain such as fish, plants, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
They also help break up the water and reduce noise, the water is more likely to "cling" to the inside wall of the overflow box and seems to be less turbulent

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I found they actually make overflows louder rather than quieter. Most of the reef guys cut theirs out and replace with gutter guard. I ended up doing the same, it quieted the tank down a good deal when combined with a herbie style drain. It also seems to still mix well and break the surface tension flowing into the overflow. I've been sold honestly, teeth on the overflow are only good for keeping really small fish out. Even then I'd just double up gutter guard.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1425403130605.jpg
I knocked mine out and since I was running both drains (drilled a 3rd actually herbie/beananimal style), I cut the two "blanks" out for a return nozzle on both sides and put screen on there too.

I did alot of testing with the plumbing and overflows and I liked it better with the teeth, but the flowrate was significantly effected.

I think it's quieter with the teeth, if infact your running a reasonable amount of flow through them, but let's be honest nobody on MFK is reasonable when it comes to filtration lol. A single overflow reef ready tank is basically meant to run just a few hundred gph Through the single 1" (or some cases 3/4" ) durso style drain, while the other is meant to be a return.

I cut my teeth out because I was pushing close to 1000gph through the overflow, basically 2-3 times what one would be expected to do.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
The actual term for those 'teeth' is called a weir.

Actually the whole overflow box is the weir. Those notches at the top of the weir is usually called a comb.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beside preventing fish from flowing over into the sump, weirs allow objects such leaves and debris to collect in an area that is easily accessible, in order to be cleaned out before entering the sump, or filter socks.
Weirs can also help oxygenate the water flowing over them.
I add upturned elbows and notch weirs into some of my PVC overflows on side panel drilled tanks, and add gutter guard when small fish are present.

Without the weirs, its easy for plants and dead leaves to overflow, which can plug up even large pipes and cause an overflow.

especially with diggers such as cichlids in a tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store