Piranhas in a community aquarium, and new communtiy tank ideas for polleni

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi Guys,

Haven't posted in while, thought Id tell you about my experience with keeping piranhas in a community set up.
It works. Sadly I have recently had to get rid of my large tank and the RBPs, but they all went to a good home.
I had my school of 8 RBP live for two and a half years with my, Oscar, pollei, and various other small cichlids, a royal pleco; normal pleco, some clown loaches; synodontis; and pimelodus Albicans. (240 gal 6ft tank) Unfortunately over this period of two years, the two catfish were eaten. They were constantly fighting with each other though. maybe that behaviour got them killed. But it is possible if you feed them regularly and properly that piranhas can live peacefully with other fish.

As I mentioned above, I have sold my large tank and the piranhas due to me leaving the country. But couldn't bear to part with the polleni and Oscar. So I bought them a 5ft tank, almost 600 litres. They have been living in there since mid Jan, and yesterday my brother had to euthanize my Oscar. For the last week his stomach became very badly swollen and he lay side ways on the bottom on the tank. He didn't improve, even with getting a few skinned peas down his throat.

We keep the tank in the lounge, and now this tank has only one fish (polleni) swimming in the middle and upper levels. (convicts, one clown loach, the plecos in the bottom). Any suggestions of what can be added with this full grown male pollen? To give my family a bit more to watch as they do enjoy my fish. Maybe some silver dollars? School of 8? Another large fish? My mom likes pretty little fish, these would most likely get eaten though. Would Angelfish do? Never kept them before. Tank has lot of drift wood, no plants though. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Hi Guys,

Haven't posted in while, thought Id tell you about my experience with keeping piranhas in a community set up.
It works. Sadly I have recently had to get rid of my large tank and the RBPs, but they all went to a good home.
I had my school of 8 RBP live for two and a half years with my, Oscar, pollei, and various other small cichlids, a royal pleco; normal pleco, some clown loaches; synodontis; and pimelodus Albicans. (240 gal 6ft tank) Unfortunately over this period of two years, the two catfish were eaten. They were constantly fighting with each other though. maybe that behaviour got them killed. But it is possible if you feed them regularly and properly that piranhas can live peacefully with other fish.

As I mentioned above, I have sold my large tank and the piranhas due to me leaving the country. But couldn't bear to part with the polleni and Oscar. So I bought them a 5ft tank, almost 600 litres. They have been living in there since mid Jan, and yesterday my brother had to euthanize my Oscar. For the last week his stomach became very badly swollen and he lay side ways on the bottom on the tank. He didn't improve, even with getting a few skinned peas down his throat.

We keep the tank in the lounge, and now this tank has only one fish (polleni) swimming in the middle and upper levels. (convicts, one clown loach, the plecos in the bottom). Any suggestions of what can be added with this full grown male pollen? To give my family a bit more to watch as they do enjoy my fish. Maybe some silver dollars? School of 8? Another large fish? My mom likes pretty little fish, these would most likely get eaten though. Would Angelfish do? Never kept them before. Tank has lot of drift wood, no plants though. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!
With Piranha it's not a matter of if they will eat tank mates but "When" they will eat their tank mates. As you had seen with your cat fish they eventually do eat them, it "Works" up until that point lol.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't want 14 year old or inexperienced keepers trying to start up a 40-75 gallon piranha community tank. Years and years of members postings and experiences on this site say it's a ticking time bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Piranhas don't eat like other fish they take bits out of fish and not just attempt to swallow it hole like most fish. There are exceptions to every rule I suppose, I'm hoping I get lucky with my fish stock as well and know body dies .

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
If that works long term my hat is off to you. I cannot even keep them from eating each other, forget about them not eating the rest of a community tank.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Agreed but some times your that one in a million guy it works for. Odds are highly stacked against him but I can't say it's impossible.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
Which country do you keep your fish tank in? South Africa or Dubai?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store