Siamese figher fish intelligence

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi Guys,

Any idea how intelligent Betta fish are? Would like to get a fish for my apartment that is small, interesting to watch, responsive and intelligent. I'm thinking a one foot planted tank, with a Betta. Don't think there is much else that will fit comfortably in that size aquarium. I can go for a two foot, but not larger than that.

Would a two foot be too small for a single pair of convicts?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Betta are pretty clever imo, can be trained to swim through hoops and jump for food, see on youtube. A 2ft tank will be fine for a pair of female convicts, a make would work but soon you will have a million fry that you cant sell, not worth the headache ime. Could do 3 cory cats, a peacock eel, sa bumblebee cat, and a pair of dwarf cichlids like appistogramma make a nice little 2ft setup.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I like bettas, mine always interacts and flares at my finger.

Could do cons in a 2 foot, but I'd say its surviving not thriving. If it had good depth front to back there's a good case for it; single female might be best

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If you can find them, a pair of Betta Channoides would be pretty cool in a small planted tank... i have 3 pairs in a 60G with other small fish and they've attempted breeding a few times already...

Pea puffers are definitely another good option for a planted tank...

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Bettas are so intelligent! Mine used to play Dota with me and drink beer.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Mine read Russian novels and talked a lot about the proletariat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store