Are Mealworms Unhealthy For Fish?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I feed my Snakeheads live feeder goldfish, minnows, tilapias, common guppies, frozen fish from the market, hikari pellets and mealworms. Going to add frozen prawns soon.

I heard that mealworms are unhealthy and fattening. So are feeder goldfish (I feed comets). But I gutload the mealworms with Hikari pellets.

My Emperor Snakehead and Striped Snakehead especially love the mealworms. Should I cut it and shift to prawns?

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
That is news to me. I worry about meal-worms not because they are unhealthy but that most of the dried ones on sale come from China. Nothing against China, but I am concerned about what they use to feed the meal-worms and what chemicals are used if any.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
no they are not unhealthy and infact you can hand-tailor your fishes' diet with food like that, depending on what you feed the worms.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
That is news to me. I worry about meal-worms not because they unhealthy but that most of the dried ones on sale come from China. Nothing against China, but I am concerned about what they use to feed the meal-worms and what chemicals are they using if any.
Dried ones? I would be suspicious of dried ones. Mealworms smell quickly because they poop a lot and they also smell quickly once dead and rotting. I have never seen dried ones though.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
no they are not unhealthy and infact you can hand-tailor your fishes' diet with food like that, depending on what you feed the worms.
Okay cool thank you for the response.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Dried ones? I would be suspicious of dried ones. Mealworms smell quickly because they poop a lot and they also smell quickly once dead and rotting. I have never seen dried ones though.
They come as freeze dried or baked.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That is news to me. I worry about meal-worms not because they are unhealthy but that most of the dried ones on sale come from China. Nothing against China, but I am concerned about what they use to feed the meal-worms and what chemicals are used if any.
All the live MW sold around me are farmed raised in the USA.

MW aren't unhealthy, they just aren't very nutritious. But since you're gut-loading them with fish pellets, they should be fine as a staple. I'd also recommend stuffing pellets into those shrimp and fish fillets as well

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store