Just bought a Leiarius marmoratus...

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I have been looking for a Leiarius pictus to go in my 700g tank, but today I walked into my favorite LFS and saw that they had small (3-4in) Leiarius marmoratus. So since the guy at the LFS knows me pretty well since I am in there all the time, he gave me one of them for $22 (versus the $49 listed on the tank).

At such a reasonable price, and since it was local not having to pay shipping - plus I try to buy all I can at my LFS instead of online- it just made more sense, even though it wasn't my very first choice of species.

So I decided to go for the Marmoratus instead of waiting to find the Pictus. I know the Marmoratus gets bigger, and IMO isn't quite so good looking, but are there any other differences I should be aware of?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm specifically interested in peoples experiences of how predatory they are. I have read most places that L. pictus was not very predatory. Is this true of marmoratus as well? I may have a few cichlids in the tank with it that only top out at 10-12" - hence why I didn't want a Redtail for example.

If this makes any difference I never feed feeders. I personally think when you raise a fish from a small size and condition it to expecting dead food it makes them less predatory than a fish used to eating live food; but some fish are just so predatory that it can't be "trained" out of them.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I'm specifically interested in peoples experiences of how predatory they are. I have read most places that L. pictus was not very predatory. Is this true of marmoratus as well? I may have a few cichlids in the tank with it that only top out at 10-12" - hence why I didn't want a Redtail for example.

If this makes any difference I never feed feeders. I personally think when you raise a fish from a small size and condition it to expecting dead food it makes them less predatory than a fish used to eating live food; but some fish are just so predatory that it can't be "trained" out of them.
They would eat anything. They eat more than rtcs and tsns. And will certainly grow faster than a RTC from that size and in my experience until 2 feet in less than a year.

If the cichlids dont grow as fast they might get eaten if small enough. However, minde didn't really take out much smaller fish. Maybe because the mouth isn't as wide as a rtcs, tsns or even planiceps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
They would eat anything. They eat more than rtcs and tsns. And will certainly grow faster than a RTC from that size and in my experience until 2 feet in less than a year.

If the cichlids dont grow as fast they might get eaten if small enough. However, minde didn't really take out much smaller fish. Maybe because the mouth isn't as wide as a rtcs, tsns or even planiceps

I know they grow fast, and thus can be greedy, but I'm a little confused... so you found them to be pretty predatory, or not really?

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I know they grow fast, and thus can be greedy, but I'm a little confused... so you found them to be pretty predatory, or not really?
Sorry predatory is pretty vague for me. I would say it would hunt down smaller fish that would fit its mouth. However, in terms of aggression, i find it less aggressive than other big cats such as rtcs. :)

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok, hmm, now I am worried he will eat some of my stock. It is so confusing because I have read stuff that says things like:

"It is always a gamble with any catfish. If a tankmate fits well in their mouth, it can be in danger. However, acharas are 99.9% scavengers, not hunters. So it's a safe bet. It is good to still be aware of that 0.1%. A lot depends on circumstances too. I have seen trade-in Leiarius marmoratus and L. pictus eat goldfish at LFSs like The Fish Place Tonawanda/Buffalo, NY but then this was all the food they were offered."

to:

"
Piscivorous by nature, but usually adapts well to dead foods in captivity."

Ahhhhhhh

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The 1st quote is mine and I stand by it. Leiarius spp. need to be really hard pressed to go predatory. You can see I have two 2'-ers in Tank 1 (6 videos) with lots of smaller fish. I've had them and three pictus too with fish as small and eatable as 3" koi for years and no koi or other 3"-5" pond mates ever disappeared.

There are pics there too: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...and-Rescue-Naples-FL-two-4500-gal-13-x13-x4-5

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks Thebiggerthebetter, yup it was from you from a thread I found when I was searching for info. That is good that that has been your experience. I feel better about trying this Marmoratus then. The only other cat I have now to go in the 700g is a Giraffe cat sp. "Bouche" which also is not very predatory.

How big is that tank in your videos ? It looks huge! I like the big Bala sharks - they so good looking when they get big like that! Also your Giant Gourami(s?) look good. Is that a normal Pink one? It looks cooler than normal to me. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a RT GG... Would you recommend them? I hear they have great personalities!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
How big is that tank in your videos ? It looks huge!
*** 4500 gal. The size & dimensions are in the thread title :)

Also your Giant Gourami(s?) look good. Is that a normal Pink one? It looks cooler than normal to me.
*** Yes but it's been tattooed. Animal cruelty.

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a RT GG... Would you recommend them? I hear they have great personalities!
*** Never had an RT but the white and the grey ones. They are smart, interactive. Not aggressive IME.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store