Koi and goldfish tank mates?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Oh goodness I hate telling people this, because I hate it when I'm told this...but I would say that you tank is already overstocked. If I were you I would only keep one or two in that size tank. So I definitely wouldn't add any more fish. So you are correct they will definitely out grow that tank.

***75 Gallon*** 1 Flowerhorn, 1 African Rope Fish and 1 Musk Turtle, ***60 Gallon*** 2 Angelfish, 1 Knight Goby, 1 Rainbow Goby, 4 Glo Fish,1 Columbian Spotted Pleco and 4 Giant Danios ***

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Oh goodness I hate telling people this, because I hate it when I'm told this...but I would say that you tank is already overstocked. If I were you I would only keep one or two in that size tank. So I definitely wouldn't add any more fish. So you are correct they will definitely out grow that tank.

***75 Gallon*** 1 Flowerhorn, 1 African Rope Fish and 1 Musk Turtle, ***60 Gallon*** 2 Angelfish, 1 Knight Goby, 1 Rainbow Goby, 4 Glo Fish,1 Columbian Spotted Pleco and 4 Giant Danios ***
Like I said, they are small now and the tank mates would be temporary until the koi get bigger. Plus, the koi will be moved into a pond once they outgrow the tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Best tank mates for koi/goldfish are koi/goldfish. They're dirty fish that require a huge amount of filtration. You could add a north american catfish (bullhead or channel) but that's just adding more waste production to an already overstocked tank. Plus channels can grow very fast and potentially eat the koi. I have heard of people keeping dojo loaches with goldfish, BUT a dojo loach can look like a thick worm to a hungry fish, so once the koi get big enough, you're taking a risk.

I'd just stick with goldfish and koi and work on getting that pond ready. Since those koi are already 5", you've got about 2-3 months before they outgrow that tank. At the most. You're going to want them out of there before they hit 8" or you run a very high risk of stunting them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I overwinter Uruguayan cichlids (like Gymnogeophagus, and Australoheros), koi and goldfish together, and they do well. When really small, I used a 75 gal, the next winter a 500 gal kiddy pool, and this winter a 1000 gal kiddy pool.

Gymnogeophagus Yerbalito

Australoheros sp red ceibal

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
My goldfish are housed with banjo catfish, or its Vica versa. They were the only fish that were slow enough and not nippy to keep with the cats. They been together 2years or so @78degrees.ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1425443686.846026.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
My goldfish are housed with banjo catfish, or its Vica versa. They were the only fish that were slow enough and not nippy to keep with the cats. They been together 2years or so @78degrees.View attachment 1062264

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I like the catfish idea, are there any species that would be compatible once the koi are full size and have been moved into the pond?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Golden orfe and golden shiners.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store