100 gallon feeder tank suggestions

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
So I am going to setup a 100 gallon to supply feeders for 1 bichir that refuses non swimming food. Bichir will be in different tank.

What fish would breed quickly and lots of it?

Should it contain hiding places for newborn fish?

It will be canister filtered and heated, with lights.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
So I am going to setup a 100 gallon to supply feeders for 1 bichir that refuses non swimming food. Bichir will be in different tank.

What fish would breed quickly and lots of it?

Should it contain hiding places for newborn fish?

It will be canister filtered and heated, with lights.
Have you tried tilapia? My Bircher didn't even starve a day before he took pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
Also, should I be using any chemicals for my tanks?

I recently moved and not sure if the water here is as good as where I was.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Have you tried krill?

Convict or rainbow cichlids should breed lots for you. Breed them in a separate tank, once the fry are free swimming, put them in a bigger tank with loads of sponge filters, and a prefilter on the canister.

My 40B tank is breeding cherry shrimp pretty quick. With a bunch of sponge filters in it, some java moss and driftwood, rainbow cichlid fry are doing great after pulling them from the parents once they're swimming. I probably have 100 1/2" rainbows from a single spawn.... and the parents breed like clockwork. I've been putting any old fish food in a coffee grinder to make fry foods.

-Ryan

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Why don't you fast your bichir so he takes prepped foods? I had to starve my delhezi for 1.5 weeks before he took silversides and tilapia. They will break and take frozen/pellets, just takes patience and the will to not break down because you think youre killing your fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Idk about bichirs, but Gambusia and Guppies are both very fast to reproduce.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store