Royal knife versus normal Clown knife

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I know these are two separate species, but are they pretty much the same other than looks? Does one get bigger than the other, or more aggressive, etc.?

My LFS has some ~7in Clown knives right now that I can get for about $20, but the owner said he will be ordering some royal knives the same size or bigger. The wholesale price on them is $36 and he said he would sell me one for $46. Is that a good price one them? Is it worth the extra money the spring for the Royal?

The main thing the normal Clowns have going for them, besides price is that they, especially one specific one are very out going compared to what I have heard about them. They swim out to the front of the tank and look at you, which I like.

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
royal clowns dont get as large and have a prettier pattern. Most will get 18" but big ones will get about 24".

Some RCKs will come to the glass, but mine wont. :/

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
royal clowns dont get as large and have a prettier pattern. Most will get 18" but big ones will get about 24".

Some RCKs will come to the glass, but mine wont. :/
I agree that the Royals are prettier! It is good to know that they stay smaller too - that was one of the main things I was reluctant about with the clowns was deciding whether I wanted a fish that could potentially reach 3ft in my 700g.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
RCK and CK actually just get the same size in captivity. Biggest one I had was 27". I've seen bigger too. For a 700g tank, they are most likely to hit pass 30" as I got a buddy who keep 3 in 600g that arr getting close to 30" or at already to that point.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I forget his name but he's a member on here and has his own YouTube channel, myaquaticdiary, has some massive ones in his outdoor pond.
Probably close to around 3ft

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store