poly fill/foam seat cushions as filter Media?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I know people do it, question is, are these brands safe? Both say "hypoallergenic."

CAM04436.jpg

CAM04436.jpg

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
All i remember hearing is if its 100% polyester its ok. But idk about the whole hypoallergenic thing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol, I just bought some also. Like RC said, I think it just matters that its 100% polyester. I also remember having to make sure it didn't have any fire retardant. The pkg I got says non allergenic, not sure if it's the same thing. I actually haven't used mine yet. I got in a diy filter phase and bought a bunch of floss, scrubbies, and lava rock.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That foam will break down in water over time. Also it isn't very porous. It has lots of dead ends in it.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
The plan was to make psuedo-baffles out of the foam cushions that would provide bio/mech filtration, and direct the water flow. No idea if it will work but I've decided not to spend an insane amount of money on overpriced filter media for my new set up. Got a gigantic bag of the poly fill for a bit over $5

Should I abandon the seat cushion plan?

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I do not know about the seat cushions. (at first I thought it said scat cushions and said WHAT!!!) :) I have used the poly fill and it works good and a bag goes a long way. Hypoallergenic is nothing to worry about. Part sales pitch part letting people with sensitivities know it is clean and safe for them to use.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I do not know about the seat cushions. (at first I thought it said scat cushions and said WHAT!!!) :) I have used the poly fill and it works good and a bag goes a long way. Hypoallergenic is nothing to worry about. Part sales pitch part letting people with sensitivities know it is clean and safe for them to use.
In a sense, they would be scat cushions. Poor stuffing always wanted to be a little girls teddy bear. And so very badly. Instead it will catch the rotting feces of my beasts.

Life isn't fair, polyester fiber. Life isn't fair.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Lots of folks use Polyester pillow stuffing. I use a 2262 full of polyfill that is changed biweekly for added mechanical.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
they would be scat cushions
I know! That made it even better that they were labeled for the intended use, in this case. :)

Ryan_R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Athens, OH USA
Get filters that use cheaper media! I used to stuff polyfil in older filters, and now I find myself with canisters that use non-consumable media.... and the consumable stuff for the XP's and Eheims is pretty cheap (a couple bucks per pad), and lasts years.

-Ryan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store