Heater for 180 gallon tank

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
i just got 2 300 watt heaters for my 220 seems to work good for me and before that i had 2 200 watts heaters but had to work to get the temp i wanted just my 2 cents

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Any brand you recommend

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
If you can wait for them in shipping kens fish has great prices on them. I would run two 300 watts though. I personally dont care for jager. Both of mine are junk. I like aqua top and have had great luck with the black top fins. My 75 stays at a constant 82* and i rarely see the heater on. And its a 200 watt heater so its cheaper to run.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a 90/40 display sump setup with approx 120 gallons in the system. I have just 2 150w aqueon heaters in there. Both are like 4 years old. 90% of my heaters are aqueon. They are awesome. Some have condensation issues so I keep all of the tops above the water level and unplug them during changes

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Aqueons seem to be good. I have some jagers that are doing well. Even if they have condensation in them which is overall kinda odd.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Remember that the wattage that works on one persons setup will not work on another even if the tank is the same size. There are many variables when determinnig wattage for heating a specific tank. There are many calculators out there to help you decide. Here are a couple.

My favorite:
http://www.kernsanalysis.com/HeaterCalculator.cgi

More in depth calculator:
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/HeaterChillerSizing.php

When purchasing I will just tell you that you get what you pay for, ie. don't shop at Walmart.
All aquarium heaters are just resistors. It's the bells and whistles that will usally fail before the actual heating element does so keep it simple.
Personally I'm a Ranco controller paired with titanium elements kind of guy. I like to go over what the calculators recommend but not WAY above.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What is the average room temp of where the tank is?

Mine 180 is in an unheated basement. My winter temp in the basement is around 50F. I run 2 Aqeoun Pro 250s and a 300w Jager, all hooked up to a single Finnex 900W heat controller.

If your room temp is above 65F, then 500W will work fine. Go with multiple smaller units rather a single large wattage unit. If you want to put even more safeguards into the heating system, use a heat controller.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Aqueons seem to be good. I have some jagers that are doing well. Even if they have condensation in them which is overall kinda odd.

I read that all eheim jagers have some oil inside the tube from the factory and is often mistaken for condensation

Dunno if that's true

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store