pseudopimelosus care,info,and tankmates?

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
I couldn't really find any info on these guys and would like your help since it might be the first fish I might want to start off since I saw marcusmbunas channel on one and they seem to be really tolerant of ph and water changes so I like that alot but the tankmates im worried that it might not get along with or eat are a sun catfish,weeksii bichir,4 line pimelodus catfish, lima shovlenose catfish and red wolf fish im not to worried about the leopard pleco though. And please dont ask how the tanks coming along because im still trying to work on the garage which needs a ton of work and my dad dislocated his elbow so thats a major setback to the project and I suck with construction work and the tank wont fit anywhere else in the house. Also great youtube channel marcus I really like your vids and will subscribe to you.And I did find a little info on them but only a little through research but not enough. Also the species im talking about which i forgot to add in the title is pseudopimelodus bufonius I messed up on the title.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
P. bufonis are an ambush predator species and usually require live food like goldfish or maybe nightcrawlers. It's probably possible to wean them off of live feeders if they're kept alone but they are very shy, reclusive and nocturnal and as result won't be able to compete with tankmates that feed on pellets for example. As with any pseudopimelodid they don't like to be in a tank with their own kind or a related species. They can be aggressive if underfed and territorial as well, preferring dark hiding places like under driftwood which means you'll rarely see them. They should only be kept with other catfish or any other species that won't fit in their mouth…

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't get on MFK all that often anymore, but when I do Captain S has a new thread but no aquarium.

Sent from my car phone

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Well we were working on setting the garage up for the aquarium and my dad broke his elbow from falling of a ladder because when he landed he had his arm straight so it snapped but anyways thats a setback hoping he recovers soon so we can get back to work. But thanks for the link when doing my own research I did find the planet catfish article but thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
It say's tankmates should be 25-50% bigger and that they are highly predatory to fish of similar size so does that mean they could eat a 4 line pimelodus catfish or red wolf fish and are any of the species I listed above not a good idea to mix with them?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That means for you, I think, that these fish can be combined as long as the size disparity holds but not for their entire life time as the size disparity will not hold that long.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I agree with V. They can tackle and swallow deceptively large items for their size. Just to make sure, don't keep them with anything else that is smaller than them by very much. It might not be able to take the whole fish down to where it disappears in its cavernous mouth, but it can fit a fish in there head first that is nearly as big as it is. Especially if they preyed upon fish has a longer type body shape... like the wolffish for example. Also just because they aren't able to swallow the whole fish all the way down headfirst, doesn't mean that they won't hesitate to eat it, leaving part of the fishes posterior sticking out of its mouth until they digest more of its front half. I've seen other fish, mostly catfish actually, that can take a day or two to completely swallow their almost too large to swallow meal and digest it.Good luck, and beware.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
So your saying the red wolf fish would get eaten? Also if it would what would a better catfish option be I was thinking a yellow bullhead catfish to replace the bumblebee catfish if it doesn't work would it work?

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Thanks for the help guys After tons of research I finally got the right combo I will go with a tiger oscar,lima shovlenose catfish,yellow bullhead catfish,ornate bichir,ornate pimelodus catfish, sun catfish, and ageneiosus marmoratus catfish. But of course I will start off with the tiger oscar and add more fish over time as I go along anyways thanks again for all your help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store